anyone know how to make this??

Thank you Candleman,

I have hd a look and will give it a go.. I think I would make my own ball candles first though.. but there are a few cheapies here at home I could experiment with first. I think the ones in this picture look great..

Thanks again..

Elesha

The candles in the picture you provided are more brilliant than the tutorials provided...perhaps try a wider pan that is still deep enough for your water....instead of using hot water use room temp water and candle safe paints that aren't water based (does such a paint exist??)

I once watched a lady make the most brilliant and beautiful scarves using a similar technique...trough of water...she made an intricate pattern on the water's surface by layering paints and using sticks and such to manipulate paint into ripples, etc and then she simply laid the silk in and it soaked up the paint! really cool to watch!

Hi there,

I have tried these, maybenot as bright as what you have in pic though, but that can be rectified by the colours you use.

You buy a marbling kit of oil paints , or you can make your own marbling kit. kits can be bought from craft places or maybe even online, maybe under the name of oil marbling kits or something similar.

Can take a bit of practice though .

Buy ONLY oil paints/ oil dyes , in liquid form.

Have a big pot of hot water, not too hot, but not warm. Place droplets of oil dye/paint into the pot in different areas, very LIGHTLY with a wooden skewer swirl the colours , some mixing slightly with others but not too much. Imagination needed to imagine, the colours you see in your pot will be whats on your candle. Slowly dip your candle into pot through the dyes, if you swirl too much may fudge colour, bit of practice will produce nice looking candles.

BEFORE lifting candle out , YOU MUST BLOW AWAY THE DYES FROM CANDLE.

if you do not do this, you will end up with the candle coming back onto your candle as you lift it out.

Hope this helps, would love to know how you go with it,

Take care,

Robyn :-)

One other thing I forgot to mention. being an oil paint, can be a little smelly. So its probably also best to lacquer your candle to seal in your new designs, with blonde shellac or a candle lacquer.

The other thing, you can use cold water in your pot, room temperature, even just straight from tap.

Take care ,

I have looked at the photos and have made candles simular to this style in the mid 90's, but did not take any photos of them :embarasse

I'll post the process as soon as I can. But I self-taught myself how to do this after watching a program years ago, but with a different medium.

It was one of those lightning strike kinda things...... I was still smoldering for a few days there after that one...:laugh2:

Regards,

Robert

http://www.robertfrase.com/My%20Candles.htm

The basic process is along the line of Millefiori. But years ago, after watching a program about a Japanese or Chinese Taffy (don't remember which) I was awestruck as to how they started with these layers of multi-colored (and thick) taffy that they rolled like playdoh into ever longer length. The end result was the same design as the initial process - only smaller. about the size of a quarter. They would then cut it, and each "face" of had a different facial expression based on the amount of pressure that was exerted on that particular section. I then went into the back room and took some of the cut-n-curl wax and poured many thin layers of wax into a plyable container that would allow me to remove the still soft/warm wax.

1st step.JPG

The basic process is along the line of Millefiori. But years ago, after watching a program about a Japanese or Chinese Taffy (don't remember which) I was awestruck as to how they started with these layers of multi-colored (and thick) taffy that they rolled like playdoh into ever longer length. The end result was the same design as the initial process - only smaller. about the size of a quarter. They would then cut it, and each "face" of had a different facial expression based on the amount of pressure that was exerted on that particular section. I then went into the back room and took some of the cut-n-curl wax and poured many thin layers of wax into a plyable container that would allow me to remove the still soft/warm wax.

1st step.JPG

After getting this, I then cut it in half and flipped it.

2nd step.jpg

With it still soft and warm, I twised and warped it.

3rd step.jpg

Using a slicer I cut it into thin sheets.

slicer.jpg

I then wrapped it around a ball candle...

4th step.jpg

I used this same process for making Peppermint stick piller candles..

Regards.

Robert

http://www.robertfrase.com/My%20Candles.htm

Hi again,

The way I did do this was with mableizing paint, it was made by Brinlay Paints, back then it was paint which was smelly. But over the years they seemed to have made a few changes,

Found this link and also found that most fabric INKS will do the same trick, some need to be heat treated after dipping, but one site said , even just a 5 second brush over with a heat gun. some places are also using paints for silk, a site which is for Pebeo Ink.

But the site I found is a specific marbleizing dye which includes candles.....

http://www.bcdservices.com/magicdip/store/Individual_Colors.htm

It says anything that can go into water can be marbleizied with this.

I would say this is the easist way to go, its specifically designed for what you seek. It even sjows pics of marbleizied items.

If in time and afte ra bit of practice, maybe you can find your own cheaper alternative using fabric inks .

Take care ,

Hi again,

The way I did do this was with mableizing paint, it was made by Brinlay Paints, back then it was paint which was smelly. But over the years they seemed to have made a few changes,

Found this link and also found that most fabric INKS will do the same trick, some need to be heat treated after dipping, but one site said , even just a 5 second brush over with a heat gun. some places are also using paints for silk, a site which is for Pebeo Ink.

But the site I found is a specific marbleizing dye which includes candles.....

http://www.bcdservices.com/magicdip/store/Individual_Colors.htm

It says anything that can go into water can be marbleizied with this.

I would say this is the easist way to go, its specifically designed for what you seek. It even sjows pics of marbleizied items.

If in time and afte ra bit of practice, maybe you can find your own cheaper alternative using fabric inks .

Take care ,

OK.... I stand corrected this looks just like what the candles posted look like. Nice find Robyn, I think you might have found the answer. These candles posted just have too many layers of bright colors to be wax. I was thinking it could be like how I/we make mushroom candles and sliced like robert did, but now I changed my mind they are too smooth and perfect. The page of the site where the candle pics came from showed good size pillars with the same wild patterns. I might have to order some of that stuff some day. It sure would be fun to dip a mushroom candle in. Bruce

Great site Robin...

I wonder if that is the same stuff they used to sell for marbled Easter eggs. There was this really cool oil dip for those, made some beautiful eggs and haven't been able to find it for years.

I ordered 2 color palettes...what the heck, if it turns out to be junk, I'll let you all know. Won't be the first time I've wasted money....and won't be the last either..LMAO.

I ran across these instructions

Marbelized Candles

These marbelized candles are done with paint and not inside the candle iteself. You end up with a marbel looking effect on the candle's surface. (Example photo)

Materials:

Medium melt point wax for pillars (around 135-140)

Additive of preference (stearic, vybar, etc.)

Candle dye/color

Fragrance oil(optional)

Pillar mold (any size or shape)

Wicking for pillars in appropriate size

A coffee can or bucket (container deep enough to dip in)

Poster paints or any oil based paints

Borax(from the laundry detergent section)

Chopstick, knitting needle, etc. (some sort of long stick)

Instructions:

1) Pour any molded candle in any color you want (scent optional).

2) Put enough water in a container (bucket, coffee can, etc.) to completely cover the candle when dipped.

3) Surface tension in the water will cause water droplets to form on the candle but you can avoid this by using Borax. Put enough Borax in the water so that when the candle is dipped you have very few or no water droplets.

4) Then use poster paints (any oil based paint will do) on the surface of the water. Drop them in in a swirling pattern and swirl them with a stick of some sort, like a chopstick.

5) Then dip the candle in a twisting motion. When raising the candle from the water blow the paint away from the candle or the design will be distorted.

6) Dip in clear wax to coat and protect the paint and give the candle a finishing touch.

Good luck and happy marbelizing!

That recipe is almost exactly as I did mine a few years back, oil marbling paint by brinlay paints, I also went out again today to investigate this again. I was told that oil paints are best. But when I sealed my candles I used blonde shellac and I also used Mod Podge which is a glue sealer , can be used on candles and dries clear. I used these 2 to finish the candle as I had no access to clear wax here in Sydney Australia.