Question about Craft Fair Fees

Okispider

I am here in Albuquerque and I go to the 3 or 4 good shows they have here. I have been interested in selling at them, but have found out that they charge on the average of $395. for the 3 days. Granted, alot of the crafts are the high end type, but there are also alot of "regular" crafters. After reading some other forums, I have found that most ppl. don't pay anywhere near that to sell at a show in other states. I am really discouraged about this and wonder what the heck does a beginner do? And can I ask how much most ppl. pay for shows they sell at? Thanks a bunch....

I have found that here in Michigan there are quite a few that charge 395.00 and more for three day shows, but they are indoor and at major expo centers, but on the flipside I have seen some outdoor ones charging 100.00 for their booths, hope you don't need an electric outlet cause that costs more and tables..I understand that we are all in this to make money, but with some of the fees I have seen you would have to sell a ton to make any kind of profit.:angry2:

I live in KY and sell at several shows that are in the same ballpark as $395, they are big 2-3 day shows, at these shows I usually bring in at least 7x show fee, which is totally worth paying that much.

Have you talked to any of the other crafters to get a feel how they do, I doubt many people would be paying those type of fees without having very nice sales

IMO, the higher priced shows are the ones you get mega exposure and sales

Don't get me wrong, I do one at the holidays that is a 1 day show that lasts 5 hrs and is only $40 and I do about 45x booth fee. This is the easiest $$ I make during the entire year, it is in doors and the people just flock. So sometimes a smaller fee does not mean small sales. I never do a show that I have not gotten facts from someone else regarding attendance etc

HTH

Guest EMercier

I recently paid $135 for a two day show and didn't think that was too expensive. This show is juried (no fee) and the talk of the town. This is for an 8 X 8 space, which is large enough for me. This show gets put on in the Spring and around Christmas. I went to the Christmas one this year, people do well and stuff is a bit highly priced, but people buy because that's what they expect. I've almost paid $50 and made a lot there as well. SO I would agree that the money doesn't mean much. I did that same $50 show this past year and it was a bust. I made 2 times booth, which before was way more.

I've never paid more than $100. I simply do not have this kind of money to invest (and at the risk of having a bad show - I'd be heartbroken!).

If you DO have the money to invest (and potentially lose) I'd say go for it! Every craft show I've went to has brought me new customers (and two wholesale accounts!) ... whether my actual sales were good or bad.

Some shows may be worth the high price, but I have learned to be cautious. I like to visit a promoter's show as just an observer and talk to other venders, if possible. Some promoters have a loyal following, some promoters just take the money and run.