Is soy worth it?

For the last year now I have been using Paraffin slabs and had nothing but problems with pinholing(especially on votives, which people say are the easiest!), and other various physical appearences. Then was told to try out Vybar, since it could really help. Still no fun. Some how managed to get blistering on the top of my candles(yet I am still wondering if this was caused by the wax itself since the slab was discolored) or a 'honeycomb' effect from using to much Vybar.

After these non-stop problems I have turned my back on candles for the last month, and now after recieving some free supplies from a wonderful local gal that I met through Candletech, I figure its to early to give up.

So, I think I am going to turn my Paraffin use off and try some different waxes and hopefully enjoy using them instead. I shop at a local candle store, which is GloryBee's, and curious if anybody could give me some pointers. I linked the soy wax at the bottom, and wondering if anybody has ever used this before. I know its pre-blended, but should I add anything or keep any special advice in my mind being a first time soy user? I hear alot about specific temps but haven't seen info on an exact.

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_List.cfm?PC=4&PSC=75&ProductCat_Name=Soy%20Wax&Token=71.193.128.52:{ts_2006-03-15_10:16:23}-527147

And as much as I may hate paying shipping fees, does anybody have a specific soy wax(even paraffin) supplier that they go through and just adore? I will be doing mostly containers, and like everyone in this world

hate wet spots(hard to embrace since im a bit of a perfectionist). So if

anybody has good reviews on a company and their specific wax then let

me in on the secret.

Thanks so much for advice,

Victoria

For my money you can't go wrong with the Golden Brands 415. Lots of suppliers carry it and rename it as their own brand. It's great stuff! Not sure who has it close to you but Peak's in CO has it, along with other GB waxes. If you search you can find alot of threads on GB wax testing. Use 415, 444, or 449 as your search term and you will find a plethora of data! :grin2:

geek

Hi. Just in case you didn't care if it was all soy, GreenLeaf has a 70 (soy)/30(paraffin) blend that is real nice. Check it out on the regular candlemaking forum. Many have tried her free sample and feel it eliminates most of the "soy" problems. Also, Bluegrass Blend (soy with some cottonseed) seems pretty good. And, a lot like the KY 125. I've tried a lot of soy waxes and highly recommend that you get samples before jumping in and ordering volume just because someone loves it. Soy has a lot of variables and you need to find the one that works for you. I'd of course start with the ones people like the best and have had the best luck with. Customer service is a big plus also. I agree the 415 is a good wax but it can come up with a bummer batch once in a while just as all of them can due to growing and processing variables. Ask me how I know. LOL. Just my 2 cents. Beth

Ok this is jmo, but if I were you I would go with Ecosoya, I hope I spelled that right type of wax. It is creamier, so I have heard. And also have heard great reviews on it.

Regular soy, is annoying to. I have to repour almost everytime. Frosting drives me crazy. But, I have come to just live with it, because it is 100% soy.

Mindy :D

I use the Golden Foods 415 and have not had any major problems, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little blast from the heat gun that is. I get mine from a supplier out of Michigan, but like geek said there are alot of suppliers carrying it they just rename it.