relief holes in Containers

I don't poke holes, but I go to certain lengths to not have to do that. I pour cool into preheated jars and then let them set-up in the oven, so that they cool very slowly. No problems when I do this. If I leave them on the counter during the winter months, I get lots of trouble.

Oh, thank you, Angela! I forgot to mention preheating the jars too. LOL :D

Anytime! Preheating really helps for me (using J50), so I usually do it. I find that I need to take less precautions in the summer though when it is hot as the devil and humid to boot.

Agreed -- the weather makes a huge difference!

And I haven't used J50 in years, but when I did, my experience matched yours.

Yeah, winter stinks for me because I feel like I have to babysit my candles and that bugs me. Summer is great because I don't have to do that. But such is life. :tongue2:

The smaller your jar the more likely this is apt to happen, that is what I have found. I preheat all my jars and then when the are completely cool I run the heat gun around all of them to make sure there are no air bubbles around the wick.

Humm...after 4 years i don't preheat my jars anymore and have never poked relief holes for jar candles. I use a (touted) one pour wax and if I pour to just where the jar starts to curve in and not to the top then I don't have sinkage in the center (16oz) now the 5oz jars always have sink holes, i just pop them in the over at 350 (yes 350) for 10 minutes or till the tops are remelted and this takes care of everything...

Angela....What temp do you have oven on? Warm?

Lowest possible setting. For me, that's 150. But what I do is turn the oven on and preheat it. Then turn it off and after it's cooled a bit, put in the jars. If I turn on the oven when I start my double-boiler and then turn off after it's heated, by the time I'm ready to pour, it's at a decent temp. When you wick your jars and put them into a too-hot oven, the wax coating on the wicks can melt off and that's leaves you with a mess. Plus, the jars don't need to be hot - just warm. :)