Wickless and tart scenting

I am just curious about the amount of FO you can use for either of these. I use 1 oz pp in my candles with the wick and get a really good hot/cold throw with most FO's using NG Joywax. I have also used the same wax for my tarts but have used at times about 1 1/2 oz. pp of FO for some of these just to get a little better scent out of them just because I know that there can be a difference in the scent throw flame vs. non flame. Is this going to hurt anything with using a little extra FO in the tarts or wickless? I was just curious as to what others think or what others may do with the varying amounts of FO with these types of things.

I usually stick to 1oz of F.O. in tarts. I haven't yet made the wickless candles yet (but boy, that would be great to do! No fussing with wicks!).

Im interested to hear your responses. I would love to know if it was possible to add additional FO.

But, I will say that I have added too much FO to tarts before and the oil floated to the top and was wet to the touch with it after formed.

Personally, I don't find any huge difference between wickless candles, tarts, and candles if you use the same wax and same level of fo. That's because the scent throw is related to the melt pool, not the flame. In my experience, (all other factors being equal), the bigger the melt pool, the better you're going to smell the scent in the room. The scent throw on a big ol' double-wicked apothecary is just plain better than the scent throw of a votive (in terms of how far away you can detect scent).

My recommendation would be to check the manufacturer's suggestion for scent load on your wax and stick with that. I do use a different fragrance load on my tarts than I do with my containers, but that's because I use different waxes with different maximum scent loads.

HTH :)

I'm not sure about that, I have some fo's that suck when lit with a wick (and these I have tested and tried to no avail) but if i make a tart with them they completely rock! flame = no throw and no flame = excellent throw...

And I have some fo's that I cant use in a tart because they give me a headache but if I make a votive with them they are great!

So what's up with that?:D

Are you using different waxes or the same for candles and tarts? If I can't get decent throw from a candle, I usually don't get very good throw from that same fo in a tart. I must be living wrong! LOL Or using the wrong waxes! (Or maybe both! LOL)

ETA: Sometimes the throw is slightly better with for me w/ tarts, but not much! The thing I love about tarts and wickless candles is the fact that I can use scents that are a booger to wick, such as clove. :-D

I don't have many scents that I will up the FO's with. It is mostly the ones that are not as strong throwing when there is not a flame. I didn't know if it would hurt anything by using a little extra oil. For instance, rose throws so much better for me in the wicked candle but, when I use it in a tart or wickless the throw is weaker. I am just wanting the wicked and non wicked to compare in strength of scent throw which for me they are not so that is why I wanted some opinions on this. I appreciate each of them also. Thanks!

Are you using different waxes or the same for candles and tarts? If I can't get decent throw from a candle, I usually don't get very good throw from that same fo in a tart. I must be living wrong! LOL Or using the wrong waxes! (Or maybe both! LOL)

ETA: Sometimes the throw is slightly better with for me w/ tarts, but not much! The thing I love about tarts and wickless candles is the fact that I can use scents that are a booger to wick, such as clove. :-D

Same wax, same additives :D

You'd be wasting good FO if you upped the amount, IMO. With wickless candles and tarts you're not burning anything off, just warming the scent, so the opposite of adding more FO would actually be more sensible.