what kind of oils can you find at the grocery store

If you are talking CP. Up here we have olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, crisco (veg.oil) and lard. I think there are others but I havn't used them. You can do a lot with these. I am still very new to this so others on here will be of better help.

My first recipe looked like this (all from grocery store)

Coconut oil (76 degree solid) 17%

Lard 55%

Olive 28%

Good Luck! *And always use a lye calculator before you do any soaping!;)

***Oops...I bet you are not asking about soap...sorry!:embarasse

-Joanna

lol- you are correct I wasnt talking about oils for soaping. But I do plan on getting into that VERY soon so it is usefull to know:D

I was thinking of which oils I could use to "carry" my essential oils. I *know* that olive oil can be used on the skin- but I was hoping for something that might have some great effects of its own. (and not just be a simple carrier for the essential oils)

They probably have grapeseed, but it has a short shelf life.

Ok.. go to the store, write down everything they have, then come back and research what might work for ya. Would be interesting to see what they have!

ooh I know what types of oils exist- its just a matter of knowing what you can buy in a grocery store. I would just go and write it down and come back- but at the moment its a little difficult for me to get around due to a sprained ankle... so Im being a little lazy and picking everyones brains;)

lol- you are correct I wasnt talking about oils for soaping. But I do plan on getting into that VERY soon so it is usefull to know:D

I was thinking of which oils I could use to "carry" my essential oils. I *know* that olive oil can be used on the skin- but I was hoping for something that might have some great effects of its own. (and not just be a simple carrier for the essential oils)

Olive oil is not just a carrier oil, it has many beneficial properties for the skin-

http://www.soaperschoice.com/soapoils/oliveoil.html

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=oilolive

ooh I know what types of oils exist- its just a matter of knowing what you can buy in a grocery store. I would just go and write it down and come back- but at the moment its a little difficult for me to get around due to a sprained ankle... so Im being a little lazy and picking everyones brains;)

SS about the sprained ankle! Ouch!

So many stores carry different stuff, don't know how to help you. There's oils that I can get at my grocery store that many can't get, and there's stores all over that have just totally different stuff. :undecided

Off hand I know that Publix carries Sunflower, Safflower, Olive, Sesame (very expensive in any grocery store) Grapeseed (I think I paid around $5.00 for 16oz). I didn't have good luck with Winn Dixie, all of there oils were much more expensive than Publix or Walmart:)

Edited to add that a bunch of Big Lots stores have Macadamia Nut Oil right now!

HTH some!

I live in south florida - so nearby I have a winn dixie and a publix. What kind of potential carrier oils do they carry? Im a bit broke and cant buy online for a little while, but I just got a ton of essential oils....

I'm in Central Florida. Just bought Sunflower (Wesson) at Winn Dixie and saw it at Publix too. You can get soybean (reg veg oil), Lard, olive, canola and those type. You can also get Safflower and those kind but they are very expensive