Cool Collars

sharyl55

After suffering at the FM these last few weeks and reading Robins post on her show I looked up the recipe for the cool collars / ties. Here it is for anyone else who has to be outside in this heat.

http://watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Think I'll make up several for my nephew in Iraq as soon as I can find some cotton fabric that will match his desert uniform.

Just sharing

I am in the process of making up about 12 of them. I went to wally world and got one yard of fabric and it makes 8 from one yard. I used 1 tbsp of crystals and that is the max they will hold.

HTH,

PS - I did not look at the link but all the instructions I found are about the same.

Maybe we should do a co-op on these bad boys.. they can be used for heat also in the winter.. I figure by the time it takes "me" to figure out what I am doing and actually get around to sewing them, I would be better off buying them wholesale.. so Im thinking about doing the co-op thing..

I had bought a couple of these at a street fair a few years ago. Then they proceeded to get lost over winter. We've hunted all summer to find where I "stored" them...LOL. Never even thought about making them myself! Duh! Thanks for the link and idea :D

A friend made 50 for a recent "hot show" and sold out within hours at 5 bucks a pop.

e

Yup, I bet I could have sold a ton of those lol... Since the Labor Day Fair might be hot too, maybe I should make up a few of these. Thanks for the link!

Well crap. I found some desert tan fabric at WalMart. Came home and cut out the 4" strips then read the instructions again. They say to iron them after stitching the pockets for the water crystals. My only iron is almost 40 years old and I sort of ruined it trying to iron out mold seams in my early canes - that's another story of what not to do. Guess it is back to wally world to buy an iron.

Sharyl, I had to laugh about your iron. Isn't funny the things we try when we first start out. did you try using a Mister Eraser on it. Bet that would work or is it on the inside too?

Baisey, all you husband has to do is dip it in water again. Even a water fountain will work.

i have washed mine just alittle and hung on the doorknob to dry. Then resoak it as it will retract to it's orginal size. You can also soak it and then put in a bag and put in the frig for a while just to get it colder. I don't leave it in there. I always let it dry out between uses. I have even made some for little people for my neighbor before they went on vacation. I love them

I'm sitting here at the computer testing my 1st cool collar. It's been an hour and so far so good. Think I'll try to make up 1/2 doz and take them to the FM this Sat. to have my fellow vendors test them. Suppose to be in the mid 90s and humid so should be a good test.