Really need soy shipping advice

Please forgive me...I know this is probably discussed somewhere in the archives, but I am new to the forum and couldn't find it anywhere....I am in desperate need for advice on shipping soy container candles from Arkansas in the heat as the temperatures warm up...as you may know, it gets VERY hot here in the summer. PLEASE help!!!!

Please forgive me...I know this is probably discussed somewhere in the archives, but I am new to the forum and couldn't find it anywhere....I am in desperate need for advice on shipping soy container candles from Arkansas in the heat as the temperatures warm up...as you may know, it gets VERY hot here in the summer. PLEASE help!!!!
It actually isn't discussed as much as you'd expect. I think the issue is more one of wax selection than how to ship them. They can only be protected to a very limited extent without your packaging expenses going through the roof, from what I've seen.

Look at the melt points of the products and choose one of the higher ones if warm weather shipping robustness is an issue. You may need to change your wicking strategy or even use smaller containers if you happen to be pushing the diameter limit.

Last year at summer, someone here recommended this technique:

Put your packaging material (NOT your candle, just the packing peanuts and bubble wrap) in the freezer overnight. The peanuts seem to trap the cold air and provide some really helpful cool insulation when you ship. Ditto on the shipping out of state only early in the week. I use only Priority Mail, and I only ship out of state on Monday-Wednesday in the hottest months.

Hi There,

Check at a local veterinarian's office and ask them if they get shipments of their medicines in styrofoam coolers. My husband is a vet and he saves all the boxes for me that their medicine comes in. The styrofoam cooler is inside of a cardboard box. I use these to ship during the summer months and my candles stay as cool as can be. The only downside is you can't fit a huge amount inside, but at least you know they will get there without melting. Nice way to recycle too, otherwise at my husband's clinic, they throw them out. HTH

Shelley

Another key to shipping in the summer is to send it out at the beginning of the week so that your package isn't sitting all weekend in a hot truck or warehouse.

I've never frozen or had one of my candles frozen, but I remember threads about strange things happening to soy candles when they freeze. Here's a couple that I've found-

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3957

Old board-

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1119913533;start=13#13

Hi There,

Check at a local veterinarian's office and ask them if they get shipments of their medicines in styrofoam coolers. My husband is a vet and he saves all the boxes for me that their medicine comes in. The styrofoam cooler is inside of a cardboard box. I use these to ship during the summer months and my candles stay as cool as can be. The only downside is you can't fit a huge amount inside, but at least you know they will get there without melting. Nice way to recycle too, otherwise at my husband's clinic, they throw them out. HTH

Shelley

That is a great idea that I would never have thought of!! Thanks so much!

Another key to shipping in the summer is to send it out at the beginning of the week so that your package isn't sitting all weekend in a hot truck or warehouse.

I've never frozen or had one of my candles frozen, but I remember threads about strange things happening to soy candles when they freeze. Here's a couple that I've found-

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3957

Old board-

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1119913533;start=13#13

Thanks for the info! I have actually had a candle freeze and crack when left in someone's cold car, they returned it to me and by the time they returned it to me it had warmed enough for the crack to completely disappear! It was the weirdest thing. The person that returned the candle thought she was completely crazy! You couldn't even see where the crack had been!!

Hi There,

Shelley

This is a GREAT idea! I think I'll ask my vet for boxes :) do you put them in the freezer overnight (w/out the candle) before shipping ?? or do anything special?

I always did what Danielle suggested (PLUS I wet the peanuts let them drip into a colendar, then froze them. Put the peanuts in a zip lock bag then put the candle in a smaller zip lock and placed inside the larger ziplock w/ the frozen peanuts.)