Venturing into Soy Wax - Need Opinions Please

I have been a strict paraffin user, but want to venture into soy wax (100% or a blend) for containers. I've been doing research on here and other boards, but really want some feedback on what you think about these waxes before I get my samples and start pouring.

I want a container wax that will set up nicely (if I have to use a heat gun on top, that's fine) and I would love to have one I can pour hot. I really have no inclination to wait for wax to cool and pour slushy (but I will do it if I have to). I also need a good scent throw. Thanks for the input!

Millcreek 100% soy for containers

Golden Soy Blend 444

Nature Wax C-3

EcoSoya CB Advanced

EcoSoya CB - Pure Soy

KY 125

KY Pure Soy

Snowtop Soy Wax

I do not use any of these waxes but I have read that KY Pure Soy is equivalent to EZ Soy, which is what I use. You DO have to pour this one cool (110 or below) or slushy. If you don't want to wait, I wouldn't recommend using this wax.

A nice blend that a lot of people are trying out is the Greenleaf wax, it is a 70/30 blend. I am getting ready to pour a second candle out of my sample. You pour it hot, it sets up nice with no heatgunning required. I got a great cold and hot throw from it. I have burned about 2/3 of a jar (half pint mason) and have not had any soot from it yet. Currently I am using up a case of KY Puresoy, but have a case of EZ Soy as well, which is about the same as the Puresoy. It does have to be poured cool, and I add a little beeswax to it to get nice tops. :D

I believe that KY Puresoy, EZ Soy, Snowtop and MillCreek are all the same soy, which is Golden Brands 415. You can't really pour those hot unless you add 20-30% paraffin. I've tried mixing 415 with J-50 and it seems to work best at 30% for pouring hot (140-155). The 415 is a good 100% soy but even with BW you have to pour no hotter than 100, and it's easier to just watch till it gets cloudy before pouring than to take temperature. It has a very good cold and hot throw when you add BW. If you preheat your jars a little when pouring, it adheres very well and wet spots are not much of a problem.

whew! HTH geek :grin2:

I have been using Greenleaf's 70/30 container blend and it has been really great to work with. Smooth tops, (very creamy) no repours, and excellent hot/cold throws using only 1 oz. of fo per pound of wax. It comes in slabs, but is very easy to cut.

Even though I don't pour a lot of candles (mostly for friends and family), I went ahead and ordered more just to have it on hand. Best I've every used!

:D

I use mostly the CB Advanced, but I have a supplier very close to me. It depends on the weATHER WHERE i AM-- can pour 125- 115.

May I suggest that you first find what supplier(s) are close to you, to save on shipping. Then perhaps try a couple to see what works best for you. I think it also depends on what type of containers you would like to try.

I personally am not a big fan of the pure soys-- I have too much of an issue w/frosting, but of coarse, that is just my opinion. I do not use any additives.

Going with a paraveggie blend or a 100% vegetable blend is two completely different roads.

The paraveggie option provides the best of both worlds. It's like a paraffin based container wax, but uses a vegetable-derived component as the shrinkage minimizing ingredient instead of (or in addition to) a petroleum product. You generally sacrifice some scent throw but you get an exceptionally flat pour. Lately this formulation strategy has taken on some marketing cachet, but it has been around for some time and even goes back to people making homebrew container blends with Crisco. Not to mention J-300 wax.

The only reason to go with a 100% vegetable wax is because of personal preference/curiosity or marketing needs. As container blends these products are distinctly inferior apart maybe from pouring flat. People either live with the drawbacks or try to fix them with certain additives. Adding an animal product (beeswax) is common. If you can sell it or just like it or are curious about it, that's cool. Vegetable wax is definitely interesting to work with and personally I find it fun despite the drawbacks.

All the products you listed are 100% vegetable based, so they are basically pretty sucky compared to what you're used to. Some suck less than others and can be made to work decently on their own or with additives as mentioned above. Pure soy tends to suck the most, though some people like the sound of it.

Personally I have tested the Cargill and all the EcoSoya products. Just out of those, I find EcoSoya CB-135 (which you didn't list) has the best overall balance of less-suckiness. The Cargill seemed decent, but wicking can be one of those annoying things about soy wax and the CB-135 had an edge by virtue of melting more easily.

I am planning to offer Greenleaf 70 soy/30 para as my primary wax, but am also going to offer Cargill C-3 as an all-veggie option. It takes a week to cure, but I can pour at 170* without frosting or rough tops. I am also happy with the scent throw from C-3.

Out of the pure soys I've tried, I like Bluegrass soy the best. I have to pour at about 95*, but the tops come out very smooth with no frosting or wet spots. HTH