Why has this happened?

Very first batch of votives were made. The candles aren't smooth on the outside, kind of alot of lines..is it the wax? the temperature when I poured it? And on my second pour, bubbles occured.

Also my FO's and dyes have degrees on them? Does that mean, that's the best temperature to add/mix them with the wax?

What's all this mean in candle language?

~S:p

The lines on the outside are usually caused by pouring wax that is too cool, or the mold was too cool. Pour at the recommended pouring temp for your particular wax (usually around 180 degrees), and warm up your metal molds before pouring.

The temperature on the FO's is the "flash point." A flash point is the temperature at which a substance will flash, or catch fire when a flame is passed over it.

LOL, Devra and I were typing at the same time. I do not heat my molds. Heat your wax, let it cool to 180. Add the FO and stir well for 2 minutes. Add your color, stir again and pour (probably 170 or so at that point).

e

Very first batch of votives were made. The candles aren't smooth on the outside, kind of alot of lines..is it the wax? the temperature when I poured it? And on my second pour, bubbles occured.

Also my FO's and dyes have degrees on them? Does that mean, that's the best temperature to add/mix them with the wax?

What's all this mean in candle language?

~S:p

You said that you had bubbles on the second pour. I`ve read posts` that said to try second pour about 2 hours after the first pour.After dealing with this for 1 and half years I find that this works:o .I think the wax on the first pour shinks as it cools and pulls away from the votve cup, causes air to come up when you do your second pour. I`m sure there are technical words for what I just said but there it is in redneck terms. :D

Also second pour 10 degrees hotter than your first pour.

the FAQ thread is where you should start. there is a wealth of knowledge on this board and on the archives (the old board)

I think you have lots of reading to do.

The lines are generally reffered to as jump lines. Sometimes I like them. Pouring to cool was your problem. If you would like the smooth shiny surface try pouring a tad hotter. I like to pour at 175, but that is a matter of personal preference and what works for you. Becareful not to pour to hot and not to heat your molds to hot because then you will get pits (small holes in the suface of your candle)

the wax is IGI-4794.

Two questions that weren't in the FAQ. The fp on one of my FO is 145, so how's that gonna work if I have to pour/mix way past that temperature? Also, I tested one of my votives and it burned to the bottom in a few hours. Is this because I put it in a pillar container, or b/c I didn't thread the wick through correctly (I used wick pins)?

Thanks for everyon'e help! It's greatly appreciated

The flash point on the FO is if it were heated on its own...once you put it in wax your worries are over unless you heat the wax too high. I would keep the wax under 190 at all times. I also use 4794 and do my first pour at around 170 and the second pour around 175-180. HTH