Need some advice

Guest Milkmaid

Guest Milkmaid

Hello all-

I would like to try making lip balm. Because I am a complete novice to all of this I think the best way to go is a mp base.

I found a kit at BitterCreek that looks promising but before I get it , I would like a few opinions from the experts here.

Are there other companies that offer a kit ( I looked around but I am only familiar with candle sites so maybe there are other places I need to look ) ?

The kit at BC comes with tubes. Are the little jars easier to fill ? I must admit that I prefer the look of the jars but for my first time will go with whatever is maker friendly.

Lastly, should I even get a kit or just figure out what I need and do it that way?

Thanks

Milkmaid

I'm not sure what the consumer in your area would want??

I use the lip balm tube containers. To cut down on the mess I rubber band the tubes together and pour from a small pyrex measuring cup w/ a spout. That helps me cut down on the mess, plus I make small batches so I'm not working w/ a huge amount to begin with. HTH :)

Guest Milkmaid

Thanks Crafty1. I agree about the size of the target. There is a very good reason why my mother didnt name me Grace.

Maryann , I apprecitate the flattery but for now ( and until the youngest starts school in 2 years ) I and my 3 little girls will be the only consumers of any of my "projects".

The rubberband idea sounds like a winner if I do the tubes. Do you use clear tubes or the opaque ones?

I'm not sure what the consumer in your area would want??

I use the lip balm tube containers. To cut down on the mess I rubber band the tubes together and pour from a small pyrex measuring cup w/ a spout. That helps me cut down on the mess, plus I make small batches so I'm not working w/ a huge amount to begin with. HTH :)

I do this too and it really does help you to not spill. I use pipettes to fill them up and BC carries those. I also get my lip balm base from BCN and everyone loves it. It may not be the absolute best lip balm out there, but I don't want to make one from scratch and this is the best I've tried. I like their flavor oils too (Except for the honey. To me, it smells like cat pee:o ). I use the clear lip balm tubes because I like them better than the white ones. BC also has pink ones I think (which your girls might like).

Thanks Crafty1. I agree about the size of the target. There is a very good reason why my mother didnt name me Grace.

Maryann , I apprecitate the flattery but for now ( and until the youngest starts school in 2 years ) I and my 3 little girls will be the only consumers of any of my "projects".

The rubberband idea sounds like a winner if I do the tubes. Do you use clear tubes or the opaque ones?

You might be surprised, you start little for yourself, experiment, give as gifts, and the next thing you know you may have orders ;)

I use white tubes and don't color my balms. I decided on the white because my labels blend in better w/ the white tubes. I do think the natural are cool though. I recently ordered 100 oval tubes another really neat product. :)

I personally HATE lip balm in pots. I love the feel of it on my lips, but HATE it on my fingers...blech! So I opted for the tubes! :) I just use pipettes (plastic droppers) to fill the tubes and it works just fine for me. I tried Maryann's trick once...lol...and knocked the ENTIRE link of 24 filled tubes over. I never did that again...lol. I'd rather knock one over and spill one than waste a whole batch of lip balm because of my clumsiness. I've been debating buying the lip balm trays MMS sells when money allows for such things...perhaps it'd cut down on the spillage. :) So if you don't mind sticking your fingers in the lip balm- get the little pots if it'll be easier for ya...and BCN's lip balm base is the BEST!!! It was all I used before I started making my own- and I tried about 10 different bases. HAve fun!!!!

Guest Milkmaid

Thanks one and all for the replies;) .

I read alot on the here on the BBB board and finally decided that I would go with the kit.

I found the BCN web site alittle confusing so I called them. I chatted with a gal in tech support and she said the same thing about the rubberband trick. She also gave me a few ideas about some little extras like glitter and mica so by Tues of next week I and my girls should be swimming ( literaly, if I pull your trick Spellkast:D ) in glittery , yummy lipbalm.

You know Maryann you are probably right about this turning into more than a hobby . The Wisconsin winters can get a little harsh and I'm already thinking about all the cruddy lotion that I buy and use some of and then realize that either it dosent work well or the smell gags me so it gets pitched.

While starting a buisness is the last thing I was thinking of , I can see how it could sort of sneak up on you.

One thing is very clear from reading this board. If I want to try a few other things, I will have to root around in the junk drawer of my mind and try to remember where I tossed my math skills.

They was near the home ec stuff the last time I looked, but if they crawled off into the trashey romance novel pile that I had laying around, I may never find them !