Essential Oils for Soy and Palm

Hello, Could anyone please give me advice on using Essential Oils in container and pillar natural waxes? What amounts do I need to start my tests with and which of the EO's are best avoided. When I get round to doing my testing I will obtain the relevent MSDS's for info on flash points etc. but in the meantime I would really appreciate some start-up advice.

Youv'e probably guessed that I am looking to create a range of natural style candles.

Also has anyone had any success with using natural dyes such as Alkanet and Annatto seeds???

Thank you

Dawn

I would love to be able to afford to use EO's in my palm wax ( or soy )

I'm pretty sure Robin ( one of the mods ) has tried eo's in candles without much success. I have occasionally seen candles that "said" they were made with eo's but I'm not sure If I believe it. Sorry I can't help you.

I have a line of candles that are made from only EOs. You certainly do take a hit on the throw - people don't buy EO candles for the strong scent throw, they do it for personal reasons, usually because they want to avoid synthetic fragrances and don't mind compromising with a lighter scent throw.

I start with .5 oz pp, and go from there, depending on what blend I use. I stick to the EOs that are considered safe for the general population - even though EOs are natural doesn't mean they're all safe, and I want to protect myself as well as offer quality products.

I haven't had great luck, but I will admit I was using them to get a more natural/nature type smell (as opposed to artificial), not for any benefits or for the "natural" target audience. For example, most of the lemongrass FOs I tested were in *no* way related to real lemongrass.

I've tried lavender on its own. Some work, some don't. I had a lavendin that I really liked for awhile, and it turned sour on me at about 3 months.

Lemongrass is nice but tart - good instead of citronella, but not all that pretty a scent.

Patchouli works nicely but is hard to wick.

Mints and citrus give off the usual fuel smells on their own. Wintergreen was the nicest but I stopped using it after learning how dangerous it could be.

The best luck I've had is in blending EOs, or blending EOs with FOs to give certain FO notes a boost. But then again, I'm not going for the natural market segment.

I use patchouli all the time it is one of my best sellers. And it is one of my best throwers in almost all waxes I have tried. If I have three votives going in the room, it gets overwhelming. Sometimes I put cassia in it to spice things up. I don't have any trouble wicking it. I don't know why, when others do have trouble. I just use the same size wick in both pillars and votives as most of my other FOs.

Cedar isn't too bad.

I have use peppermint too. It was ok. I don't remember why I haven't used it again. I think I figured out that I don't like peppermint. I like lavender FO better than EO in candles.

A really good one is sweet orange. Like Robin I sometimes mix mine with FOs. This one I mix with Jasmine and it is another really big favorite.

If you shop around you can find some EOs that are the same as some of the more expensive FOs pp ($20-$25). Some of them are even cheaper than FOs. I have found clove, sage, sweet orange, and cedar for $8-$10 pp. HTH

Thank you all so much for your replies. I do want to go for the natural market. In the UK there is a big demand for this at the moment and so I was thinking of natural waxes with natural fragrances. I buy EO's in bulk for my natural soaps so the expense isn't an issue with me just the effect/danger aspect of E/O's in Candles. I am certified for safe use in CP Soaps but this is a totally different ball game to candles. I can't wait to get testing but am on 'House arrest' at the moment recovering from a hysterectomy. Thank heavens for the internet otherwise I would be board to tears lol....

I have worked with Eo's longer than candles because I know aromatherapy. If anyone is trying for the first time do your research on them. Learn what scents blend the best. What have harmful effects and what have therapeutic effects. Eo's are stronger than FO's and requires less oil when scenting. There are also no preservatives in them so you must protect them from direct light because they are photsensitive and the scents fade. I love the effects especially blended with soy. They both compliment eachother. They do sell books at barnes and noble. Of basic blends to get you started and all the benefits and the effects.

Stacie - Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge of EO's. I've been hesitant to try EO's with Soy because I've read that it just couldn't be done-but then I see Soy candles which claim to be made with EO's all the time:confused:

I can't wait to get started.

After reading this thread and some of the replies I started rethinking the eo/veg wax. I have read alot of info on eo's but I'm still hesitant to get too ambitious because of the possible side effects, so I was thinking to use some that are safer like lavender. I think I hit a kazillion sites that sell them and I actually did find some that were reasonably priced ( wont know the quality until I try them ) I like the idea of soy or palm with some nice eo's. Thanks Dawn for starting the thread and thanks Jeana and Stacien for your input ( and for giving me a new way to spend money :wink2: ) I appreciate any information on this that you are willing to share.

Some EO's can be quite reasonably priced....they just vary alot, depending on what they are, where they come from, etc. I guess I'm just used to it, because I've been buying them for bath and body applications for years - I suppose if you're only used to FO's (which seem to have a much tighter price range), it can be daunting at first. Some EO suppliers I could recommend - Essential Oil University, Camden-grey, Rainbow Meadow, FPI. I'm playing with veggiewax/beeswax eo blends too - it can be done, it's just not done nearly as often, so there isn't as much info out there . :)

-maggie

Essential Oil University and Camden Grey are two on my list. MaggieMae ( love your name, every time I see it I start singing Rod Stewart )

What percentage of eo do you add to your wax? I was thinking to start testing at 3% because I don't want them to throw like fo but to have a softer, milder scent. I know in butters and lotions I only need to add a very small amount of the eo's compared to fo's also like you said the price range can be daunting. I'm also wanting to try eo's in cp but thats a whole other thread:) Quick question, what's a good one to blend with orange to eliminate the fuel smell?

Essential Oil University and Camden Grey are two on my list. MaggieMae ( love your name, every time I see it I start singing Rod Stewart )

What percentage of eo do you add to your wax? I was thinking to start testing at 3% because I don't want them to throw like fo but to have a softer, milder scent. I know in butters and lotions I only need to add a very small amount of the eo's compared to fo's also like you said the price range can be daunting. I'm also wanting to try eo's in cp but thats a whole other thread:) Quick question, what's a good one to blend with orange to eliminate the fuel smell?

Many people do a blend of sweet orange, lavender, and patchouli. It smells great.

have you *personally* tried the orange oil and noticed a fuel smell? I've heard on various boards, etc. that it does smell like fuel, but - I've had very nice orange EO candles that don't smell like fuel at all! There are many kinds of citrus eo's, processed in various ways....steam distilled, cold-pressed, 5 fold and 10 fold - redistilled....)....I haven't extensively tested these in candles, myself - we're just starting to experiment, so I don't know the answer to your question exactly - I just know that there are lots of options to try. I'll be having fun experimenting, I know that much for sure!

There are also other "lemon-ey" oils that aren't citruses - for example, lemongrass and litsea (may chang) are two that smell citrus-ey but are not from an actual citrus fruit.Bergamot would be another option too. I haven't tested either of those in candles - yet ;) - but speculate that those could also be used to achieve a citrus-ey note, if you don't like the actual scent of lime, tangerine, grapefruit, orange etc. eo's in your candles.

-maggie

ps. we're experimenting with different percentages, too - the scent "strength" of eo's seems to vary alot - for example, a redistilled peppermint is much stronger than a "regular" peppermint, which is much stronger than balsam peru, so....we're personally taking each oil and experimenting with it individually. We tend to start around 4 % and then work up from there.

a side note about ordering EO's - most companies will give you samples for free or very low cost - so at least you can smell the oils. Which can be very helpful if you're just starting out and haven't the faintest idea what, say, lemongrass eo smells like. I know last time I ordered from FPI they sent me samples of each of their varieties of lavender EO - 10 total, I believe - it was really educational! So don't be afraid to ask if theyhave free or low cost samples.

-maggie

-maggie

ps. we're experimenting with different percentages, too - the scent "strength" of eo's seems to vary alot - for example, a redistilled peppermint is much stronger than a "regular" peppermint, which is much stronger than balsam peru, so....we're personally taking each oil and experimenting with it individually. We tend to start around 4 % and then work up from there.

Hi Maggie

That sounds like a fabulous job!! I am looking forward to testing as well when I am recovered and back in the workshop!! I am really looking forward to your results....

Thanks

Dawn

Hey Blokes,

I notice alot of you posting you were having difficulties with certain fragrances and their scent throw. First of all and most of all you need to refer to this site http://www.aromaweb.com/ It is a helpul resource for EO's for people that are not educated in them.

The hazardous ones you are referring to are using for direct skin contact. It doesn't refer for inhalation otherwise they wouldn't be called aromatherpy.

Yes they can ignite so you cannot load up a candle with as much as regular FO's. Usually 1/2 oz per pound of wax because they are pure botanical concentrates. Not oil and alchohol bases like FO's.

Second of all when purchasing EO's know your oils. Cold pressed is the best as opossed to distilled. Plus it cannot contain any carrier oils. Carrier oils are usually used for oil burners or direct skin contact. It basically waters them down. If you notice you are burning a scent and its throw is weak. There is a reason.

EO's are base on Perfume Notes. In other words scent strengths. Top, Middle and base note. Top notes are scents that can stand alone strength wise without any blending. Middle to Base note scents work better in a blend. Top Notes can also be blended with the mid and base notes. But the Top note usually is dominant in the blend. Top notes can also be blended together. They tend create a stronger effect.

For example Lavender, Speariment, Peppermint, Sweet Orange and Camomile are all top note scents. There are several others. We can use these alone and have a strong scent. But other scents like Patachouli, Vanilla, Ylang, Ylang are middle to base note scents. If we use them alone they are not strong enough to put out a great throw. That is why all of the big expensive vegetable candles like Ergo and Votivo use them in a blend. Its name by recognigtion of those fragrances for the consumer but they have to blend them in order to make them strong enough to market. You could give a percentage for how much to use but it is not as consistant. You could use more or less their strength is what it is. Blending is what you have to understand. Sometimes its easier to buy a premade blend if you don't have enought experience with them.

Also most important factor they are photosensitive so keep them out of direct light for long periods of time. These manufacturers don't stress that enough. They don't have as long of a shelf life as EO's so when you buy don't buy in too much excessive. Make sure you buy what you use.

It sound like a lot of talk but this is why amomatherapist usually have to be certified. Because there is more room for error in this line. But I tell you if you get just the right blend and mix it with a vegetable wax candle or in a cold processed soap. It is intoxicating. Parafin doesn't throw EO's as well. You will notice alot of aromatherapy candles are vegetable or palm waxes in the big boy brands. And not because of the naturalist's hype going on.

Remember to look up that sight or even get some books.

Good Luck,

It sound like a lot of talk but this is why amomatherapist usually have to be certified. Because there is more room for error in this line. But I tell you if you get just the right blend and mix it with a vegetable wax candle or in a cold processed soap. It is intoxicating. Parafin doesn't throw EO's as well. You will notice alot of aromatherapy candles are vegetable or palm waxes in the big boy brands. And not because of the naturalist's hype going on.

Remember to look up that sight or even get some books.

Good Luck,

Thank you Stacie for your very informative reply. I have taken notes lol...

Best regards

Dawn

Second of all when purchasing EO's know your oils. Cold pressed is the best as opossed to distilled.

Actually - distillation is how *most* essential oils are produced. It is not a bad thing...it is just how they are extracted. Usually with steam. The only oils that are pressed - to my knowledge - are some citrus oils - they press the essential oil from the rinds.

Cold pressed is generally considered better when you're talking about BASE oils - olive, sunflower, avacado, etc. - but essential oils are different.

Here's a good site that helps explain: http://www.naturesgift.com/extraction.htm

-maggie