Handmade Hot oil treatment

After a horrific bad perm back in the 80's(remember this was the decade of the big perm hair and a ton of hair spray). My hair was so dry it began breaking and falling out. My hair dresser had to cut off most of the damage and then she told me to use Olive Oil as hot oil treatment. I just heated it and applied with a cotton ball to my hair and scalp. Be very careful because Olive Oil heats VERY quickly. If you are doing this on a stove top it will heat in a matter of just a couple of minutes. Test to make sure it is not too hot to apply to your hair and scalp:eek: After applying, wrap your hair with a towel and wait about 20 min. When you shampoo your hair apply the shampoo first then the water. I find that if you try to wash your hair by wetting it first it is difficult to remove the Olive Oil. I tried many more expensive hot oil treatments and the simple Olive Oil has been by far the best.

You may also want to do a search here for Hair Butter or Loc Butter. There was post about this in the past. I've also read some good things about Monoi de Tahiti oil on hair.

I just did a Monoi treatment on my hair yesterday-got the oil from the recent coop. I did the exact same thing as with the olive oil, warmed it before applying and used about 1 ounce of the straight Monoi. Wrapped in a towel for about 20 minutes. It rinsed clean after shampooing. My hair feels fantastic!! I color on a regular basis and this is the best my hair has felt in a loong time. The monoi is a bit pricey-but I'm worth it!! I think I am going to try this on a weekly basis and see what happens.

I have seen another hot oil threatment that uses Jojoba oil with some Monoi mixed in but for the life of me I can't find it now!!!

I've done the olive oil treatments before and I've also used straight jojoba and a jojoba/avocado mix before....worked great!! Would really like to get some Monoi 'cause I hear such great things about it.:)

This is what is on FNWL site...

Monoi de Tahiti is a truly beautiful exotic oil from Polynesia. The word Monoi means scented oil. It is created by soaking/macerating Tiare petals in refined coconut oil for 15 days. Our true Monoi de Tahiti carries an “Appellation of Origin” guarantee and is produced under very controlled manufacturing methods to ensure the highest quality oil. Monoi de Tahiti has been shown to penetrate and hydrate the skin rapidly and to reduce trans-epidermal water loss. Use this oil in creams, lotions, soaps and other recipes but first be sure to enjoy it straight from the bottle.

Sounds like you could use coconut oil but the Monoi smells so good!