No longer a soap virgin! *update,. Pics added*

heather_dw

I just put my first ever batch of homemade soap (CPOP) in the oven :-)

it was a little crazy,..

when i poured the lye, it went on the counter :eek: it just kinda flew out the container when I poured! I cleaned it really well though.. so hopefully it will be okay :-)

When i went to line the mold, the stupid freezer paper wouldnt go down in there because the mold is narrow (2.5 lb wooden slab) and we had to cut the freezer paper into pieces!

Its in the oven now though and Im really eager to see how it turns out.

it isnt colored because Brambleberry still has not shipped the color I ordered early early wednesday morning (not happy at all about that)

it is scented cucumber melon though, so at least it will smell nice!

Does your mold have a lid? I cut a large piece of freezer paper and place the lid on it, paper side up. then I trace around the lid. Then extend the lines out 4-5 inches, all of them. I then cut the corners out. Fold the flaps in, shiny side in. It should fit down in your mold perfectly. Then just tape the sides to the outside of the mold. I also line the lid.

HTH

congratulations :)

i hate how the lye just goes where it wants. i've had a spill just like that, the stuff just shot out of the bottle. something i do now that helps make the lye handling easier is to wipe down everything that the lye will be coming in contact with with a dryer sheet before measuring. including the bottle of lye itself. helps to keep the lye beads from bouncing all over the place.

I think my soap is going to be a flop...

it doesnt look"gelled" at all..

it is very light all over and not hard at all..its kinda spongy. I touched it and it made an indent :eek:

plus, the saran wrap melted :-( Now I turned the oven off (its been 2 hours) and put freezer paper over it since the saran wrap is toast

Not that this newbie would have an answer for you, but someone might have a better idea if you post a picture. Aren't you supposed to leave it in the oven all night? It might be alright by morning, except for the melted saran wrap.

Don't give up yet - just because it didn't gel doesn't mean it won't turn out. Not everyone wants their soap to gel. I know of floks that don't want their gm soap to gel. Some argue that gelling helps it cure faster and I've read others argument that it doesn't. I haven't been soaping long enough to form an opinion one way or the other but do know that it very well may turn out O.K. for you. Once its out of the mold and cured, give it a try. You might be surprised. :)

In order to really help you, you'll have to post your recipe and oven temp, time, etc. I agree with Meridith, though, it might turn out fine. Just think of it this way, you'll learn a lot with this batch, and the next will be just that much better.Man, for some reason, I couldn't get the smilies to work, lol.

Congrats on taking the plunge. My first attempt at cp was a major disaster but that didn't stop me. I like cphp much better, it is much easier and cleaner to do imo. And, you get instant gratification and can use the soap right away once it cools in a couple hours.:)

I also don't pour my lye in the house, I go out to the garage and do it out there.

i took it out of the mold,...

its not that hard,.. you can push it and make an ident.. so thats not good..

im wondering if I used too many soft oils.. but still.. why didnt it gel??

Im afraid to try another batch without knowing what I did to mess up the first batch..

Cphp? What's that?...lol

Recipe:

castor:10%

coconut (76deg solid) 20%

grapeseed: 15

olive: 35

sunflower: 10%

soybean:10

the second picture is a view from the top.. as it would sit in the mold (hubby poked a hole in it,.. :-( but you get the idea)

post-525-139458377063_thumb.jpg

post-525-139458377065_thumb.jpg

I think I tried cucumber melon twice now and that scent never did turn out for me. I dont think my batch hit gel either, its not near as hard as the other soap and will probably get pitched since its been a few months now and still soft. (smells nasty also the scent faded bad)

Bruce

hmm,.. the scent can do that? Wow..

I have some stormwatch, White tea and ginger, sweet pea from the peak's co-op..

I will have to look and see if any of those are soap safe

FO can make or break your batch. I've soaped the sweetpea and it does beautifully. Normally, when you unmold the soap it is a little soft. If you dropped it, it would dent. It does harden up a lot after a week or so. Yours does look very soft.

e

It is pretty soft,..

maybe i should add crisco to it next time? I was thinking of trying another batch tonight

so, in the meantime, should I just chop this one up and remold it? or just cut it and use it anyways?

I didnt realize that an Fo could cause it not to gel completely... this was supposed to be soap safe

Heather, I just now looked at your recipe and ran it through Sooz for you http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp Your recipe has an iodine of 85, which is high. My recipes are usually in the 60's to low 70's range. You do have too many soft oils in there. Usually my recipes are 45-50% hard oils. You can get lard in the supermarket; usually in the dairy section. It's frequently subbed for palm oil, which may be hard to find. You can get it in 1lb. blocks, like butter. Try 20% coconut and 25% lard.

It is pretty soft,..

maybe i should add crisco to it next time? I was thinking of trying another batch tonight

so, in the meantime, should I just chop this one up and remold it? or just cut it and use it anyways?

I didnt realize that an Fo could cause it not to gel completely... this was supposed to be soap safe

Heather, don't panic! I've never tried Cricso, so I can't vouch for it. Try this very simple castille recipe. It will get hard as a rock over time.

10% Castor Oil

90% Olive Oil

It's a permanent part of my stock for those with allergies. I sell it unscented, uncolored.

Can I use crisco? I think I read that somewhere...

no matter what i run through that soap thing, it always has high iodine...

im about to say forget the whole thing.... Just seems like no matter what I try it isnt right?