Phase I--The Cold Throw Test

Well....this will be my final test before making a decision on the container wax for the Fundraising candles. I am using 4630, 70/30 and 30/70

with an assortment of HTPs, CDs,ECOs and I threw in a 51P for grins.

For all us newbies, this is what Phase I looks like in the testing process. :undecided

...for ONE container, with ONE scent.(Maduro) They all have the same amount of FO and I am testing for Cold Throw after 48 hours. The testing sheets are very helpful that are floating around here somewhere.

If anyone is interested in my results with these three waxes/wicks/oil, let me know.

post-60-139458394893_thumb.jpg

I too am interested in the results......I went to get some 70/30 from Greenleaf last week and they were out. After trying the sample I received I wanted to do further testing. I currently use Cargill C-3. The Maduro does work well in this. Michael, when I first went over to Greenleaf I smelled the Maduro but it didn't WOW me. After hearing you talk about it and everyone else I went back and got a pound of it. I really like it! It's a great scent in wax.

I feel that your testing procedure is flawed.

Violet or lavender is a weird color for Maduro and I'm convinced this will adversely affect the results.

If you were Maduro and someone colored you lavender, would you throw? No, of course not. You would hide in your humidor for shame.

Violet or lavender is a weird color for Maduro and I'm convinced this will adversely affect the results.

If you were Maduro and someone colored you lavender, would you throw? No, of course not. You would hide in your humidor for shame.

ROFL :laugh2: Some people may not know what "Maduro" is - it spoke to him in this color and I am sure it will be more than fine.

Pam W - Please email me at brenda@greenleafcandlesupply.com with some details please. Let me see if I can assist. Most people are not getting that result with Maduro.

Thanks

Brenda

I don't know Top, some madurs my like being lavender or violet,

it may help them come out of their humidor with pride...

Maybe the Dean has a mixed bunch of Maduros!!! Ya never know....

I think this will make the testing even more interesting!!:laugh2:

I too am interested in the results......I went to get some 70/30 from Greenleaf last week and they were out. After trying the sample I received I wanted to do further testing. I currently use Cargill C-3. The Maduro does work well in this. Michael, when I first went over to Greenleaf I smelled the Maduro but it didn't WOW me. After hearing you talk about it and everyone else I went back and got a pound of it. I really like it! It's a great scent in wax.

It's back in :)

Trying to understand your testing process better as I'm relatively new and always trying to learn so that I may be able to improve. If I understand correctly TDTD (and this may seem repetative, you are testing for cold throw. You are testing the three waxes you mentioned. You are testing a variety of wicks but that should not affect the cold throw. You have held constant the amount of FO, dye, and containers. Are you then adding the FO or pouring at different temps and that is what you are testing?

You are strange one TOP!! LOL They do not even look violet/lavender to me at all, more a light wine/burgandy color.

Count me in as one who does not know what a Muduro is. ;)

I'm confused Dean about the testing of new waxes for a fundraiser, I thought you already were making container candles? Maybe not?

And what exactly are "adhesive covers"????

You are strange one TOP!!

Count me in as one who does not know what a Muduro is. ;)

Guilty as charged.

Of course I don't care what color they are, but for the curious...maduro means "ripe" in Spanish and it refers in this case to cigars that have the very dark outer tobacco leaves. The very dark brown ones have what's called a maduro wrapper.

Yeppers :)

This is a "Havana" type fragrance. We called ours Maduro instead of "type" - which I don't really like. It has many more notes than just cigar so don't let that fool you.

Thanks

Hey Brenda,

if Greenleaf makes a cherry pipe tobacco FO I'd buy a bunch!

geek

Been busy so I just had the opportunity to revisit. TOP...WHAT THE H*** have you done to my thread LMAO:laugh2:

brookstone: the FIRST test I am going to do with these is just cold throw. We all know how important the cold throw is. I wanted to know if there was a difference, side by side with the throw in these three waxes. I have also wicked them to get some testing results to compare the burn etc.

Michi: Yep...I have been making containers all year, but have been off on some other escapades for my friends and personal use using many other container types. The fundraiser is once a year...so now, I have reeled myself back in and have to retest for the ones that will be sold this year using these tumblers with different waxes and FOs. Last year we had other waxes available to us in the Dallas area that are not available to us now. ( without shipping charges...ie J223 etc)

The adhesive tops are just that...adhesive tops to put across the top of the tumblers. I just hole punch some holes through them and they keep the dust out and the cold throw in LOL....not sure about the rest of you, but to me, containers without some type of covering just do not hold their cold throw as well. I am sure there is some scientific explanation for this...but I am the wrong man to try and explain that ( ahem.. TOP). I will just pretend to know and say that they Oxidize http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/oxidize

And, OK...I am Busted....my Fundraiser is for Gay Cubans with Lung Cancer and my color choice is all about the "pride" thing. Who am I to complain...it gives me the opportunity to test liquid dye in these waxes....and when you are out of pink, whatcha gonna do? ( and the first one that pops up and says that I could use a tiny amount of red dye in the white wax is going to get B****slapped!):laugh2:

I am also interested in your results. Hoping to get my sample of Greenleaf's perfect wax any day now. Had no idea Maduro was a 'ripe' Cuban cigar scent. LOL

Sharyl,

I don't smell cigar in this FO...the name may say that but the scent doesn't.

Just for grins ( not that I can tell a whole lot at this point ( other than what we knew, that some of these wicks are honkers! LOL ) I thought that I would snap a pic at the 2 hour point. This is with the 4630 heated to 190, added 1.5 oz of Maduro at 185 and poured at 165. The glass was at room temp in a slightly cool room.

In order left to right

CD-16

HTP 83

HTP 104

HTP 105

51-32-18 P

post-60-139458395299_thumb.jpg