Prime wick or not question

Is it necessary to prime flat braid wicking? Reason I'm asking is in the directions to the left under basic instructions it doesn't tell you to do so (unless I am overlooking it). It says:

TIP: If it is difficult to get the wick through the hole because it is frayed, try dipping the end in some molten wax and rolling it through your fingers to form a nice pointed end.

I have read on here how to prime the wick by dipping it until the bubbles stop then taking something to flatten the wicking out. Guess I'm just curious if anyone does like the directions to the left. Does the wick need to be primed to light it or will it burn okay if not primed? Thank you for any help.

Hi

I prime my flat braid wicks to make it easier to fit into the candle. I've never tried without priming so I don't know if it would affect the burn. Also, after priming, I twist the flatbraids, it seems to make for a more even melt pool.

hth

Sharon

Is it necessary to prime flat braid wicking? Reason I'm asking is in the directions to the left under basic instructions it doesn't tell you to do so (unless I am overlooking it). It says:

TIP: If it is difficult to get the wick through the hole because it is frayed, try dipping the end in some molten wax and rolling it through your fingers to form a nice pointed end.

I have read on here how to prime the wick by dipping it until the bubbles stop then taking something to flatten the wicking out. Guess I'm just curious if anyone does like the directions to the left. Does the wick need to be primed to light it or will it burn okay if not primed? Thank you for any help.

There are air bubbles in the wick, So Yes you should prime for every application. Unless you prefer air bubbles in your finished candle. Most times it causes a big void in the middle of your candle that you would be unaware of. Some people don't most people do.

If I'm wicking before I pour I don't usually prime. I do if I use a wick pin.

If you use a wick pin and don't prime, and cut your wick a little too long, sometimes the flame can go out before it gets down to the candle and starts melting new wax for fuel - the priming wax gives it some fuel to start. Happens more on smaller diameter pillars where there's more of a hole left from the pin, but I've had it happen on a 3" pillar too.

There are air bubbles in the wick, So Yes you should prime for every application. Unless you prefer air bubbles in your finished candle. Most times it causes a big void in the middle of your candle that you would be unaware of. Some people don't most people do.

I wick my molds, do not prime and have never, ever, seen this void that "most times happens." I do agree with Robin in that when using a wick pin I do prime. :tiptoe:

Okay so if you put the wick into a bit of clear wax and let it soak for a few min. You see bubbles right? Bubbles=Air So when you don't prime your wick, where do the bubbles go when you pour your candle?

I suppose... but is just my opinion.. when the wick is "loose" you put it in wax then you see the bubbles (I see bubbles, but they are very few and very microscopic).

When you tighten it wicking a mold the fibers are close so maybe there is less air in it....

:D

If you prime first or pour raw, you are doing the same thing, coating the wick with wax. I have never observed any adverse effects with the latter method.

I do find that pillars that are pre-wicked will burn differently than those that had a wick inserted later (either by wick pin or drilling). My assumption is that more oxygen gets to the wick if there is a space around it, making the flame burn hotter.

e