Soy vs. Paraffin prices

dynamike

I don't use soy, but I believe it's more expensive, therefore sell for more generally. I've looked over your few posts, and it appears that you aren't currently making candles, but are looking to start selling. I just wanted to let you know that candle making is VERY expensive and NOT a good way to make money. It takes a lot of time and supplies to test and make a safe buring, quality product. Not to mention all the equipment, packaging, advertising, insurance, etc that is required to go into business. Before you decide to start investing in supplies, I suggent you read all the newbie threads and suggestions, then read some more. Many of us have been doing this for years, and are just now starting into the business aspect of it. Many sell just enough to make it self supporting. Some are in business and making a nice profit, but they have invested the time and effort it requires to get to that point. Not trying to be a damper, just wanted to make you aware of these things. HTH

As far a business goes I am fairly well versed in most aspects. I am currently helping a friends mother on small investments here and there for her current candle business. She is a reseller that is at about 400 candles a month but I think with a little work she could really increase her bottom line. I thank you for your warnings TBD but I was also told this stuff about the cellular store business 3 years ago and now have 7 stores. Although all the warnings about being a major pain in the ass were not overstated at all ;)

Thanks

Mike

Just my opinion - - -

Although I am sure you are well versed in aspects of successfully running a business, there are major obvious differences between candles and cell phones that must be considered before you plan on selling your candles.

I know the old saying about ASSUMEing anything - but I will go ahead and do it anyway - I assume you are not manufacturing your cell phones. And I assume from reading several of your posts that your intentions are to manufacturer the candles you sell.

When the product you sell has been directly responsible for burning your customer's house down it tends to hinder repeat sales from that customer and anyone who knows them. Not too big a problem with cell phones, but it can be with candles.

It is so easy to make candles - just stick a wick into a blob of wax that has had a bit of FO and some colorant added to it and you are good to go right?

If you think you can compete with a Walmart on the price of the low-end candle and are not worried about the above scenario which supports the local fire department by giving them more business, then yes, there isn't much more involved with making candles than that.

Seriously, if you are looking to produce a quality product and expect to compete with other quality hand poured candles then there is a tremendous amount of testing involved. Not only to assure that you are producing a safe product, but to assure that you are producing a quality product. Spend the time here reading (Check out the Archives also) and you will see countless threads that discuss the importance of testing and tell WHY it is so important. ANY thing you change in your product changes the properties of that product. You finally get a perfectly burning candle and then try and make one just like it but in a different scent and you have to thoroughly test again because it may now burn differently and you will have to use a different wick.

At best, rushing your candles out there to consumer will just about guarantee that you offer them an inferior product. Many may not know the difference, but then again, there are those who will. And consider the fact that a lot who don't know the difference won't be buying from you anyway, they will be looking at the cost and paying Walmart prices which you can not compete against.

I am nowhere near an expert at any of this. I will soon be coming up on one year of playing with wax and I find the more I learn the less I know. I have spent a lot of time and money so far and hope to one day get to the point where I will feel comfortable selling my candles.

Again, just my opinion.

I was never comparing the cellular business to candle making business at all. It just reminded me how people kept telling me not to get into the cellular market becuase there was no money in it and was way too saturated. I would have to be the stupidest person in the world to think the celluler and candle business model was the same. I was just trying to figure out if the market would accept a higher price for soy over paraffin givin its enviromental "advantages".

Thanks for not overstanding the question Sarah

Mike