Is this Lard, Tallow...or What??

michelleB

My hubby brought this home to me after I specifically asked for pure Crisco vegetable shortening (I know, I know, that's what I get for not doing it myself) and I don't know what this is cuz I've never used it before. Says "Shortening" on the can, but it also mentions Meat Fats. I'm getting ready to make a batch of soap and now I gotta figure out what to run this through the SoapCalc as. Can anybody tell me if it's Lard, Tallow, or Crisco?

[ATTACH]4689[/ATTACH]

Thanks a bunch!

post-1817-13945839332_thumb.jpg

I do believe I tried to soap with that same stuff & came out with a very soft bar. I plugged in the values as crisco, but they're just not the same values.

It can't be tallow...tallow is much harder almost like a palm oil, RIGHT?

So lard & vegetable oil, but at what percentage?

Probably all of the above :).

Well, since soy is .136, crisco is around .137, and lard is .141, palm is .142, and beef is .143, I'd say put it in as Crisco. OR choose an oil that's around .139 or .140. You'll be safe enough. If you use a lower SAP, you might want to drop your lye discount down to 4% or even 3%...... I use 3% all the time, you should still be in a safe zone.

Ok I'm gonna run it through as Crisco and drop my superfat to 4% to be safe. Plus I'm gonna toss in a little stearic just in case it tries to make a mushy mess. I guess this stuff is strictly for cooking with or something (eeewww!) because you'd have a devil of a time identifying what it is if you needed something specific...like me right now, needing just plain crisco. Hubby is grounded, btw. Bad hubby! Bad!

Thanks gals for the input! Now I'm gonna go try soapin this can of goo and see what happens. If it turns out all wrong, it'll be part of hubby's punishment, having to use it. Maybe that'll teach him to read the labels.

Isn't there a ton of threads on The Dish about meat shortening? I've seen people rave about it. I looked for it here and couldn't find it so I use lard. I do have someone who's gonna hook me up with some tallow next week. I can't wait.

Oh cool, that's what I want to hear! Thanks!

I unmolded earlier today but it's still just a little too soft to cut, so I'm gonna probably give it til tomorrow evening or night and try again. Looks fantastic though! I do Goat Milk soaps, so I've gotten used to all the different shades of tan and brown that I normally get, but this one is LIGHT. Very pretty off-white color. I'm just tickled to death over it so far.

I used the meat shortening at 47% of the recipe, with 13% coconut oil and 8% cocoa butter and the rest soft oils, but I did add 1 tsp salt ppo at trace (hoping that'll help). I'll let ya know how it turns out tomorrow.

I use tallow and pure tallow is hard as a rock. I wouldn't run that soft stuff through as tallow, unless I used a really hard other fat.

I have been making soap for 23 years, and have used mostly tallow. The newer oils that are available now are nice, though. Can't say I had near as many choices then as I do now. It must be hard to learn soapmaking now, there are just so many choices.