coffe pots/decanter for pour pots

I just did a search and couldnt find anything on this on this site.... I could have sworn I had read it on this site but maybe not - searching everywhere for info lately. Anywho,,, has anyone ever used glass coffee pots/decanter (the things you make household coffee in) for pour pots. I read somewhere they work great and if bought at a thrift store make it cost :) to have 1 pot per scent. sounds great to me.

And --- if I did end up having 1 pot (coffee things or real pour pots) for each scent... the point would be to leave the remaining wax in the pot for next time. If all scents/pots were placed in the same closet would it greatly cause harm or distort all the scents. Any input would be great. Thank you all again.

Yes you can use glass coffee pots but not on direct heat. You have to set them in a double boiler. I used one from Goodwill for a while until it broke. Went back to metal. No I wouldn't leave scented wax in them and just set them in a closet. It is so easy to pour excess wax out into a Dixie cup if nothing else and seal in a freezer ziplock bag.

I think you are over thinking this. You just need a couple of pour pots. They are very easy to clean between uses. If cost is the issue just use coffe cans in the beginning. Or get a Michaels 40% off coupon and buy one there. With the coupon the cost is fairly reasonable since you don't have to pay for shipping.

Ok you talked me out of it. I currently have 2 of the good normal pour pots I got from my supplier. Maybe if anything I'll just buy a couple more so I can just use them flip em over and bake at 200 and wipe out thing - 4 should fit in my oven and maybe give me some time between cleanings. appreciate the time for inputs. :smiley2:

Ok you talked me out of it. I currently have 2 of the good normal pour pots I got from my supplier. Maybe if anything I'll just buy a couple more so I can just use them flip em over and bake at 200 and wipe out thing - 4 should fit in my oven and maybe give me some time between cleanings. appreciate the time for inputs. :smiley2:

I'd bake them at more like 150. That will melt most waxes, without melting the plastic handle. :)

I still use coffee cans as pour pots. I used to use the double boiler method with the coffee can, old pan and jelly jar ring lids inside the pan to lift the coffee can. Since then I now have a presto pot but have still been using the coffee cans. The only problem is that now they have begun putting a ring around the inside of the can which can make pouring a little more difficut. I cover the cans with wax paper and rubber band if I have left over wax. Has worked for me for many years and is inexpensive. I asked friends to save cans in the beginning which helped me to accumulate enough for all my scents. Just a suggestion.

i used to use a coffee decanter to pour votives. it was easier for me to do the repours with it vs the 4lb pour pot. then i got the smaller pour pot and it works good too, but i still prefer the coffee decanter for the repours.

We use the coffee decanters and have for 4 years. Couldn't do without them. Occassionaly one breaks, but no big deal. We buy them new from Walmart. To clean them, we just turn them over on a cookie sheet and newspaper in a 180 degree oven and then just wipe them out. The glass is great for checking colors, mixing, pouring, and they can be put on a warmer for heating.

...have still been using the coffee cans. The only problem is that now they have begun putting a ring around the inside of the can which can make pouring a little more difficut.....

I take this ring off with a hand held can opener that leave a smooth 'no cut' edge. My opener is from Pampered Chef but I have seen a cheaper version at BB&B.

HTH.

Donna

I love the internet for the mass amount of difference in what works. What works for one doesnt for all. I'll see what I decide, the no cleaning aspect sounds great and for the most part I am rather careful so maybe the breaking wouldnt be that big of an issue. Thanks again for all you input, glad to hear what works for all of you.

I use my heat gun and wipe out with paper towels.

For cleaning I just stick it back in the water for 30 seconds (Double boiler) and wipe out with paper towels, quick and easy. For excess wax, depending on the amount, I line a bowl with foil and pour, wait until hard, wrap the excess foil around it and place in a ziplock and label. If it's just a little bit I pour into a votive cup with pin, when solid, I pull on the pin to remove then place in ziplock and label. Or just throw it out if it's something I wont be using again. Or throw it in my tart burner.

I am rather careful so maybe the breaking wouldnt be that big of an issue. Thanks again for all you input, glad to hear what works for all of you.

I will say my coffee pot that broke was used for 5 months or so before it ever cracked, plus I get them at the thrift store for $.50 each so no biggie, just a mess to clean up the wax that spilled everywhere!!