Just trying to get it straight

The wax = the sent of the candle. If you add the full load of sent and the sent is not strong enough for you. IE you can't smell it even if you are standing over the candle it is because the FO does not work in the wax, right, it has nothing to do with the wick. Did I explain that right?

For example: I am testing a candle, I burned it for the right amount of time and I could barley smell it. Is there anything I can change to increase the sent through with out adding more FO because I have already put in the full load. If I remelted it and repoured it at a lower temp would that help?

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to be clear about my question so I can get a clear answer.

Thank you all, Connie

Connie, does your candle have a cold throw. IE can you smell the scent before you light the candle. All FOs do not throw well in all waxes. Also the quality of the FO can impact scent throw. If you got the FO from Michaels, you probably won't ever smell your scent when burning the candle. Peaks, which sponsors this board, has some awesome FOs that throw well in paraffin. Can't speak to soy.

Is your melt pool all the way across the candle when you're not smelling anything? Burning for the right amount of time doesn't mean much if you're not achieving a good melt pool.

Are you using any additives? Using too much can lock up the scent too.

Are you using quality frangrance oils?

Pouring temp will not affect the hot throw. Wick type will not affect the hot throw (assuming candle is wicked correctly and achieving full melt pool).

Are you sure you're not jsut experiencing 'candle nose'? Maybe find someone to give you their impression?

I'd bet on Beth's idea about the 'candle nose'. You may not be able to smell the thing for two days after you pour it. People 5 miles away can, but you can't. Gets frustrating, sometimes.

Sometimes if you sniff some coffee grounds, it' clears your olefactory senses and helps.

If you can get a friend to come over and they can't smell it either, I'd guess it's either cheap FO or you added too much vybar, as Sharyl and Beth mentioned.

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this. For my Cinnamon Buns FO in soy wax, I tried 8%, 7%, and finally settled on 6.5% as having the best hot throw. I learned from someone that in some cases, less is more.

Tangerine, I just made a cinnamon buns at 6% in soy. It tested very well and my tester has actually requested more. So it sounds like a hit.

I don't think pouring temps affect throw, but mixing temps can.

I agree. A good thing to do would be to check the flashpoint of your FO.

From making soap, I know if it has a flash point of 150 degrees, and you add it to 200 degree soap, you can very well burn off the scent. A big whoosh of steamy scent, and you're left with unscented soap.

I can smell my candle when I stick my nose in it. I have also asked my boys if they can smell it because I figured they can smell better than me. I got my FO from BCN it was closeout. Does that mean it has been sitting around for awhile? Or is that stuff they just did not want anymore? I was using Enchanted Lites, Millennium container wax, I got a full mp with the 51-32-18P. I burned it for about 3 hrs, and I am using the short wide mouth jj. Can’t remember what size they are. I am not using any additives. You may have it on what temp. I added in my FO. I am not sure what temp it was I went with the wax suggestions and did not even look at the FO bottle. Thank you all so much for your help. I know you guys here it all the time but all of you are great. I know if all the newbees could stand up and give you a round of applause we would. :yay: Thank you about my board name, It is from a song I like, but it fits me well.

I can smell my candle when I stick my nose in it. I have also asked my boys if they can smell it because I figured they can smell better than me. I got my FO from BCN it was closeout. Does that mean it has been sitting around for awhile? Or is that stuff they just did not want anymore? I was using Enchanted Lites, Millennium container wax, I got a full mp with the 51-32-18P. I burned it for about 3 hrs, and I am using the short wide mouth jj. Can’t remember what size they are. I am not using any additives. You may have it on what temp. I added in my FO. I am not sure what temp it was I went with the wax suggestions and did not even look at the FO bottle. Thank you all so much for your help. I know you guys here it all the time but all of you are great. I know if all the newbees could stand up and give you a round of applause we would. :yay: Thank you about my board name, It is from a song I like, but it fits me well.

First, the Closeouts from BC are perfectly fine. They are just Fos that BC isn't going to permanently carry. They get them at a good price and only have a certain amount. When it's gone, it's gone. They have some wonderful c/o scents that I love.

Second, you are using a soy wax. Soy is notorious for not throwing well with all Fos. So this particular FO just may not work well in soy. It happens.

Also, I'm not sure how much FO you used. I know that some soy users use up to 1.5 oz pp and so maybe you didn't use enough FO (as well as the issues about what temps you added the FO). Hope this helps.

Thank you Angela,I am glad to hear about the quality of the sent. I am new to this and would think that all BCN FO's were quality ones, but you never know. I think it comes down to the temp. I poured at, if the FO works in soy, or just not enough Fo. I only put in 1/4 an oz of FO to 1/2 lb of wax.

Thank you , Connie

Thank you Angela,I am glad to hear about the quality of the sent. I am new to this and would think that all BCN FO's were quality ones, but you never know. I think it comes down to the temp. I poured at, if the FO works in soy, or just not enough Fo. I only put in 1/4 an oz of FO to 1/2 lb of wax.

Thank you , Connie

No problem! Glad to help. Try a little more FO because that is a prettylow percentage. Bet it will smell better if you do ;) I love getting their closeout scents because they are such a great price.

Also, if you haven't tried the WYW Fos yet, you should really do so. They are awesome FOs and although they cost more, you really do use less so the cost works out. Vanilla Grapefruit is my absolute favorite. :drool:

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this. For my Cinnamon Buns FO in soy wax, I tried 8%, 7%, and finally settled on 6.5% as having the best hot throw. I learned from someone that in some cases, less is more.

I agree...I think that there are some scents that throw poorly when too much is used!

I think I will remelt the candle and try adding more FO to it. My last "real" candle was peppermint and I added way too much FO and had the fuel smell that I am still working on. When I gave it to my friend to burn at her house, she said it smelled good, but a little week. Maybe the wax was a contributor, I did smell a little stronger after a couple more days of curing.

Connie

The wax I am using is a blend should I be reading more in the soy section? I have not been. Is IGI 6006 a soy mix, I believe the millennium blend is.

Connie

Not everyone reads every section, so some of the people who could help you the most, might not see this posted on this side.

I was always under the impression as I've read that the flash point does not really matter or that it won't burn off when you mix and pour at the standard temps for your wax. I have made a batch each of the J50 & the 4627 at suggested temps for melting, mixing and pouring and then curing. The cold throw is OK if I stick my nose in the jars. I'm getting poor hot scent throw.

I have changed to various wick styles and sizes. No improvement in hot throw.

Now I'm really wondering if there might be something to the temp you mix your FO at based on the flash point. I just assumed I don't know what I'm doing or that I'm just not cut out for candlemaking or that I have a nose problem (Although, I have no problem smelling my tarts). I wanted to get everything working before I even asked someone else to test for me, but maybe I should go ahead & do so for scent throw results only. After reading the above comments regarding flashpoints, I am beginning to wonder if there is something to this. IE, I'm ready to try the WYW Buttercreme Crunch 1/2 oz sample in J223 which has a FP of 104.

Can anyone who has tried this combo tell me what mixing & pouring temps work for them? I am getting discouraged and this is my first WYW scent to mix. If this doesn't work, I don't know of anything more concentrated to go to than WYW and might just want to give it up. HELP, PLEASE!