How should I fly back east with candles?

Hello all,

I am taking a trip back to NJ on Sunday....flying from Albuquerque, NM. I am bringing about 30 8 oz candles (tins) with me and a bunch of tarts for family and ex-coworkers. Question is...should I check them or carry them on board with me? I would rather not carry them.. I prefer to only carry my two Xanax pills (I hate to fly!). I do change planes in Ohio...but the time between flights is short so my luggage will not be sitting on the tarmac very long. Any input is appreciated! Thank you.

When we flew to CA (Valium in hand for me, lol) we sent them ahead via Fed-Ex. If that isn't an option, the tins (not breakable) will be fine in your checked baggage. I would wrap them well in bubble wrap or foam, something to help with dings in case the bag is opened and searched (they don't always put things back in the same spot :rolleyes: ) and for insulation as well.

My boyfriend is also a candlemaker and lives in NJ (I'm in IN)... he flies out every weekend and almost always brings pillar candles with.

He wraps them well in large bubble wrap and stuffs them in his carry on. They scan them and that's that.

Not sure if you're worried they won't let you through or the heat or? But I think carry on limit is 50lb? Depending on how much other things you stuff in the bag, it may just not be worth it.

If you're concerned about summer heat, I would carry-on the tarts but pack the tins in a duffle bag and check it. Baggage handlers usually stack duffle bags upright so their handles are easily accessible. If you pack your tins in a box and place it right-side-up in the bag, then even if they start to soften they should be okay.

I have taken candles from NY to CA no problem...Just put them in the suitcase stuffed in the clothes in checked in baggage...arrived safely, no backage so tins should be okay. The tarts should also be okay in checked in baggage, I have taken votives that I want to test and they arrived okay with no damage. I feel the less I have to carry with me on the flight the better!

Look at it this way, if an animal can survive in the cargo hold, so will your candles.

A startling number of pets die in cargo holds every year because no one bothered to notify the pilot there was an animal down there. If they don't know, they won't diligently monitor the temperatures, so you should always ask a cabin steward to tell them.

I dare you to ask them to monitor the temperatures for your candles! :D:D :D

A startling number of pets die in cargo holds every year because no one bothered to notify the pilot there was an animal down there. If they don't know, they won't diligently monitor the temperatures, so you should always ask a cabin steward to tell them.

I just recently read an article in the paper about this and was really surprised!

I couldn't remember the exact figure though so I googled a bit and came up with a site with a lot of info - After reading here I remembered this exact line being in the article I read

"Every year, about 20,000 pets are lost, hurt or killed traveling on planes."

And now to get back to the orginal thread - (Sorry about highjacking it)

Been so long since I have flown I can't help as far as carrying them but I think since they were gifts I would have boxed them just as if you had sold them to someone and shipped them to myself at wherever you were going to be staying

What's been rattling around in my mind as I've been watching this thread (and believe me there is rattling room up there, lol) is that I'd be more worried about the cold in the cargo hold than the heat on the tarmac. Heaven forbid that the wax should shrink and release from the walls of a straight-sided tin. I assume it's the cold that gets the poor animal travelers, especially since they're drugged into oblivion for the flight.

I take candles with me everywhere I go, including airplanes :). I've taken containers, votives, pillars, etc. and always checked them in. No way I want to carry those heavy things through the airport! I just pack them securely in my luggage so they don't move about, and usually stuff towels or a pillow on top to prevent them from hitting each other.

DanaE

Thanks everyone for your insight. With that I will be wrapping them in bubble wrap and checking them in. I will snuggle them amongst my clothing and when the Xanax kicks in I won't have a care in the world so I should be good to go!

When I moved to Germany (husband is in the military) I was so stressed about my dog flying.....and NO meds for her since there is no one down in the cargo hold to monitor her. She did better than me!

Thanks again everyone....I will let you know how it all turns out.

Egads!!! :eek: Was not aware that animal deaths were so common. :( Thanks for the heads up!!!

I dare you to ask them to monitor the temperatures for your candles!

lol.

When we flew to CA (Valium in hand for me, lol) we sent them ahead via Fed-Ex. If that isn't an option, the tins (not breakable) will be fine in your checked baggage. I would wrap them well in bubble wrap or foam, something to help with dings in case the bag is opened and searched (they don't always put things back in the same spot :rolleyes: ) and for insulation as well.

if you send them via mail or Fed-ex etc they'll put them in cargo so I would send the tins through, the tarts are light I'd carry those