Jump to content

How long should I wait to unmold my soap?


Guest EMercier
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest EMercier

I'm curious. I made two batched last night and when I got up this morning, they were hard ans crumbled again. I did two recipies (1lb). One was straight palm, the other was a mixtiure of soft oils. I weighed everything and my lye was correct. Maybe I'm leaving them in the mold too long. It's like if I got a bar of soap from the store and cut it. I has swirls and everything. One thing, just never use Merlot is soap, it smelled food at first. It turned my stomach after a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest EMercier

I put the lowest amount of lye possible. I did two batches. One was 100% palm oil and lye with water. The other batch I used casor oil, shortening, and palm oil. I think that's all with the second batch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am new to this too, what do you mean the lowest amount of lye?

I know many do a discounted water (which I do too) but I thought that you needed the lye to saponify the oils, unless you were doing a superfat. Then it is only in percents.

I see in your second recipe that you used palm and shortening. I was thinking that you used all soft (liquid) oils, more like a castille soap. Let us know how they turn out, and post pics!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put the lowest amount of lye possible. I did two batches. One was 100% palm oil and lye with water. The other batch I used casor oil, shortening, and palm oil. I think that's all with the second batch.

Whoa EMercier.. Were you using MMS for your lye calculator? And used the lowest lye value? If I'm reading into this correctly - You used a 1% superfat on a 1 lb batch of soap? Ok.. please be careful using this in the tub, if at all. Use it for a stain stick pretreater for your laundry. Next time, please use the 5% discount. Doing it in small batches like that even at 5% leaves little margin for error. You MUST have a super precise scale with 5% and a lb batch. With your crumbly bar.. I have no doubt it's lye heavy - meaning there's still free lye in it and it could burn you. The reason for the 5% superfat is to saponify 95% of your oils, leaving 5% free oils to mousturize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoa EMercier.. Were you using MMS for your lye calculator? And used the lowest lye value? If I'm reading into this correctly - You used a 1% superfat on a 1 lb batch of soap? Ok.. please be careful using this in the tub, if at all. Use it for a stain stick pretreater for your laundry. Next time, please use the 5% discount. Doing it in small batches like that even at 5% leaves little margin for error. You MUST have a super precise scale with 5% and a lb batch. With your crumbly bar.. I have no doubt it's lye heavy - meaning there's still free lye in it and it could burn you. The reason for the 5% superfat is to saponify 95% of your oils, leaving 5% free oils to mousturize.

That is what I was trying to figure out, but couldn't put it so elequently :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest EMercier

OK, I have used the amount of lye in the green part. I normally go for the lower end of the range, like the 8. Which number should I normally shoot for when using the lye? Also, maybe I'm letting it get to heavy with the trace? I pour when it is thick. Should I wait until it's light to medium? In my research I've seen different methods of making CP soap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd stick with the 5% number. 8% can leave a pretty soft bar.

As soon as it looks like thin pancake batter, you are tracing. As far as the trace, people like it different ways. To swirl, it must be fairly thin. You can texture nicely when it's thicker. Depends on what you are trying to do.

I prefer soap calc; http://soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp that's because I make up my own recipes in percentages. I like the way you can change the ingredients and amounts and watch the properties of your soap change accordingly.

If you have a set recipe, MMS is easier to use. I do note that the water given for MMS is higher than soapcalc.

e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...