Cargill C1

Hello - I am wondering does anyone use C1 wax and if you have any recommendations for blending? I am just looking for a starting point on the best wax to blend it with. I did make a tester with just straight wax and fragrance. I am not really liking how it looks. I poured around 140. I want a more creamy look. Any suggestions to start I will greatly appreciate. Thanks.

I used c1 for many years. Midwest soy at 5-10% and coco83 at 5-10% solved a lot of the appearance issues. 

I poured at about 110 or a little lower to minimize rework. As it started to cloud was the magic visual cue. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for something to start with here. The tester I made, I was poking holes in so I could place wicks in and when I brought the thing up out the candle, the whole thing came out completely out the jar. 😑 The jar I have is a 3 3/4 inch diameter jar, about 4 1/4 inches tall. Do you have a couple wick type suggestions I could begin with? I tried 2 small premiers and they were wayyy too small. Tunneled really bad.  But weirdly, within the portion, the right wick burned like a champ (the left wick had died out.) Wicks I have on hand are CD, Eco, Premier, LX. Thanks.

MyCandleMay20-C1.thumb.jpg.b2ed7b8a89b27fbc62f35b6beaeed198.jpg

Edited by Grani L

I use C1 soy and Premier wicks.

1.  For my wide-mouth pint jars (3 1/4" x 5"), I use one Premier.  Depending on the fragrance oil, my wicks run from 770 to 780 in these jars.

2.  For my smaller jars (3" x 3 1/2"), I use one Premier.  Depending on the fragrance oil, I use 740, 745, or 750.

3.  For my squatty tins (3 1/2" x 2"), I use two 735 Premiers.

4.  I have a couple fragrances that I tested multiple different wicks in the wide-mouth pint jars but had to come back to using two Premiers.  Testing showed 2-725's worked but just recently lit one and found it was way too hot!  So back to the drawing board on those.

Have fun and let us know how you do.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

I no longer use C1, but used to have the best luck in 3” tins with CD 12,14 or 16 depending on fragrance and colorants. I hadn’t used premiers at the time but know a chandler friend whose experience is similar to the post above in sizing. 

Given the glass jar you use, I would start in the premier 735x2 or one size up, playing with spacing. Glass takes a bit more to get going than tins but holds the heat better than tins. 

I like ceda cerica for how easy it is to pour, but have spotty throw success with fragrance oils.  Essential oils seem to do well with it. Going to try a new, undiluted line from my fragrance house to see how it does.  The two samples I tried initially smelled and burned great at 1%.  You read that right, 1%.

I’m currently blending Midwest soy and coco83, or coco83 with sp487, or coco83 with stearic mostly because I have so much of all of these.  I need to decide on a lane soon since the current stock I have won’t last forever. Holidays are fast approaching. I spent way too long messing with my own blend, then got distracted. I’m sad that I missed the last candle conference last months.  Decent, consistent wax was a subject of discussion. Too many are just garbage these days as they keep adding ingredients in an attempt to hold more of the watered down retail fragrances. It’s a viscous cycle.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 1:14 AM, TallTayl said:

I’m sad that I missed the last candle conference last months.  Decent, consistent wax was a subject of discussion.

Are these conferences attendable by zoom or such by any chance? And where do you get your information about these events?

Edited by Ini
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ini said:

Are these conferences attendance by zoom or such by any chance? And where do you get your information about these events?

They are not available by zoom,yet, but I will definitely make that suggestion! Thank you for the idea. 

This one was sponsored by the American candle association, so it caught my attention. I  hear about them through the candle adsociations, society of cosmetic chemists, suppliers and sometimes by just googling conferences. I plan to attend next year if all goes to plan. 

the soap guild has an annual conference also. 

I’ve always loved attending conferences you meet some fantastic resources and make great friends in the process. They are exhausting to attend as you’re always on, and in learning mode. 

let’s all meet up at one some time!