New business requirements

Im beginning the journey of taking my longtime hobby into the business phase of things. For all of you seasoned business folks here, what do I need to do in order to get started and be legal? I know I need product liability insurance for starters. I am the only one making/selling the candles currently, so do I make my business an LLC, Inc, etc etc? I also will be launching a website to sell online, what do I need for that in regards to taxes and all that. Do I need to apply for a tax ID number from the IRS or what is it.

I read through TT's sticky in the business section, but it mostly just covered insurance. Im sure there are other things I need to do in order to run a business other than insurance. 

Thanks for any information!

The county in which you live is where you would apply for a basic business license.  As for taxes, any customers within your state will have to pay a sales tax, which you will hold.  Your state sales tax office are the ones you'll pay that to, and you'll find some of that out when you apply for your license, your tax ID number will come from your state office.

• Thanks 1

There's actually two really good Youtubers that I follow that have posted several videos on this subject. The first channel is Tiana Coats and the second Memory Box Candle Co. Their videos are more in depth than a lot of the other "How To Start A Candle Business" videos out there.

Some of the first things that come to my mind when starting your candle business...

*Include fire safety warnings on the candle. I literally purchase my warning labels from Amazon lol. They are easier than printing them yourself plus they only come out to 1 cent per label if you have free shipping.

*Look up the US Candle Label Requirements as there are regulations about what your labels need to say. From off the top of my head...
- your labels need to say the amount of wax, by weight, that is in the candle. Weight needs to be in ounces and grams. Weight does not include the jar or wicks, just the wax.

- your label needs to list the physical address, not mailing address, of your company. If you have a home address that you don't want to list it on the candle then you can just list the city and state as long as your physical address is listed somewhere on your website.
- your label needs to say what your product is i.e. "candle"
- make sure you look up the actual requirements because there are more that I haven't listed here

• Thanks 1