Testing with Paraffin wax

Hi, I'm Trace. I'm a new candle maker. I started some time late last year and I'm loving it, but I'm having issues with soot possible cause from wicking.

Wax I used is 4630/ BW-910 Paraffin types. 

Wick used was LX-20-24 and 3” jar.

I also used dey iny candles but even without dey I'm still having issues. 

FO load 9%.

Now my issue is something that I'm Not comfortable with, Sooting/ mushrooming and flickering.

I used CD wick and it's the same thing.

Now I'm using BW-910 with Lx-21, I'm getting some soot and flickering but not much of flickering, the soot is not acceptable, if you ask me. 

Scent throw is ok. If I used LX-22 I don't smell the scent much, if use LX -20 I won't getting a full melt pool not even in 3 hours time..

I made test candles with no FO and I'm still experiencing shooting.

What can cause this issue?

I also used HTP-104 but the flame was to high and I'm not really smell the fragrance when its burning. 

Same issues for both wax.. 

Can someone tell me what can cause this problem

I never liked LX wicks for containers but do like them for Pillars. CD's do well in soy bc they burn hotter.

I'd give Zinc wicks a try for a paraffin wax. They burn cooler than cotton wicks and do very well, I'd start with a 51Z for you size/diameter

I like LX wicks in 4630. For better results, cure several days before testing, don't overload with FO or dye, and don't aim for a full melt pool within 3 hours on the first couple of burns. IIRC, LX 18 usually does the trick for me in a 3" tumbler.

• 4 weeks later...