Tips on making your own essential oils

6 hours ago, Tjwaversano said:

Hey guys just curious if there is anyone that has had experience with using methods such as steam distillation to create their own essential oils? I know yield ratios are pretty abysmal but the process of doing so sounds fascinating

I have not but found small copper pots that do it at a small scale. I don’t grow enough of the plant materials to get a drop 😂

making hydrosol is a little easier. 

51 minutes ago, Tjwaversano said:

Appreciate it! lol you are a force of nature on this forum. I see you on literally every post🤣

This one looks super appealing,  and way less $ than I saw last time I checked…

6488DB5C-F362-4823-9D79-361F3B1ADC0F.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Making your own essential oils can be a rewarding and creative process. Here are some tips to get you started:

Choose your plants: Select fresh, high-quality plant materials for extraction. This could include flowers, leaves, herbs, or citrus peels, depending on the desired oil.

Extraction methods: There are various methods for extracting essential oils, including steam distillation, cold pressing, and solvent extraction. Research each method to determine which is most suitable for your chosen plant material.

Equipment: Invest in proper equipment for extraction, such as a distillation apparatus, cold press, or solvent extractor. Ensure all equipment is clean and sanitized to prevent contamination.

Patience is key: Essential oil extraction can be a time-consuming process, requiring patience and attention to detail. Be prepared to wait for the oils to extract fully and avoid rushing the process.

Safety first: Essential oil extraction involves working with volatile compounds, so it's essential to prioritize safety. Use protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes.

Storage: Once extracted, store your essential oils in dark glass bottles in a cool, dark place to preserve their potency and fragrance.

Experiment and have fun: Don't be afraid to experiment with different plant materials and extraction methods to create unique and personalized essential oils. Enjoy the process and embrace the creativity of making your own oils at home.

• Like 1