Why didnt someone warn me!lol

Marisa

Okay so maybe Heather (slowburn) is not the only one not listening if this has already been talked about!!LOL Yesterday I go to a farmers market and ask them if they had any lard or tallow and they said yes Lot's but we cant sell or give it to you. So i nicely asked why and she about bit my head off and said becasue IT"S AGAINST THE LAW!!!! Everyone standing inline looked at me like I was a drug seller or something, :P So I decided then was the time to mention i was just wanting to use it for soaping. She looked at me again like I was an alien or something and said "yeah, really,sorry it still is illegal". needeless to say i snuck out quitley and was dumbfounded!!LOL What do people smoke this stuff or is it dangerous!My word..

So here is my question.. Ive been wanting to try tallow and lard and was shocked when they said it was illegal to sell or give away tallow or lard. !!?? Why is this illegal and if it is ..how are you al getting yours ? I couldnt beleive it, but then again I never read it on here or "just wasnt listening"HA:wink2:

Marisa

Okay thats what I thought i heard about lard, that people buy it at the grocery store,But I cant find it at ours..It makes me wonder why they wouldnt at least sell me lard.. They deal straight with the farmers and I was so happy when she said they had them both.. So close but yet so far!!LOL

Maybe it's a FM thing where they'd have to be licensed and inspected or something like that.

You might have a few hispanic grocery stores around - probably not all that common out there, but they'd have lard.

You could also ask the butcher in one of your grocery stores to save you the fat trimmings off their meat and render the tallow yourself - it's not too hard, just time consuming..

Our lard (Armour) they keep in the refrigerated section next to the hot dogs. I get tallow from their steak trimmings - have 10#s in the freezer right now.

www.soaperschoice.com has large quantities of lard available (50 pound cube - SAP value .199) and an animal/vegetable shortening/tallow (50 pound cube - SAP value .194) both listed at 46 cents per pound which works out to $23.00 a cube. They are based in Chicago and have great service.

WalMart has lard in 1 lb packages underneath the coconut oil - at least here in SW Michigan.

:)

Hey!! I resemble that remark :P That is weird! Most grocery stores do sell lard, and someone told me (see I can listen) that if you look for pre-creamed shortening in the oil isle and read the back that it may be made from meat fats. So it would be like a tallow that would work for soap, kinda like crisco for the soy oil! I know Super walmart sells lard, do you have one of them close?

When I went in search for lye, everyone stared at me. Yep, I am gonna make meth out of it, and sell it to everyone!!!! I probably would of freaked if they would of looked at me like that for lard or tallow, LOL! Lye I can see, but fat? Too funny! And I am not laughing at you hun, I am laughing with you ;)

Yea Heather, Im laughing as I was like what in the world!!!LOL I dont have a super walmart around, but maybe some toher options..

Robin, thanks for the mexican store idea.. actually we are surrounded by a ton (i mean a ton) od ethinc grocer's Im talking Indian,ASian, Arabic, lebanese, chinese, We have mexican town.. So aill go check tham im sure Ill come up with something and some nice peep offered to send me some.

Anyway, I thought I had missesd something but if walmart sells lard, than maybe THEY are missing something . (like a grasp on the law..lol)

Thanks guys

marisa