Soap Beveler & shower questions

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I've seen some here use I'm thinking a beveler for their soaps. Where do you get them, or did you make them? Also, do you bevel them when you cut them or after? I'm just thinking if I get a hard bar, how do I clean that up? I like the beveled look. I did find a website to show you how to make one.

Next question:

I've seen some here talk about putting their soaps in a shower. I know it's not like a shower you take in the morning, but what is this and what are the benefits?

Thanks!

I got my soap beveler from For Crafts Sake.. It's awesome! Before I bought that, I used a potato peeler - but I couldn't get it perfectly even from end to end. I prefer to bevel after they've cured for a few days so it doesn't smear the still soft soap.

As to the shower, many people "wash" their bars under running water. It helps get rid of surface imperfections, imparts a nice shine, and dries a harder bar. After you've rinsed, be careful not to leave any bubbles on the bar - or it'll look like a used bar of soap!

I've also polished with rubbing alcohol, and personally prefer the water method. HTH

I got my soap beveler at For Crafts Sake. I love that little baby!!!!!:D

I bought the hobby soap cutter too. Oh wow!!! That is one of my greatest investments yet! Every bar perfectly cut beginning to end. Every single one of them are exactly the same size. That NEVER happened with the miter box. :rolleyes2

Well Bunny...

I tried it...

and it did work...

but not as nicely as I wanted it to.

I had this huge pile of soap scraps left over.....I think it took too much off at once. It was somewhat inconsistent but it was also my first time attempting anything of the sort! I've only made 3 batches of soap period! but that's a whole different story!

So I think I am gonna order the beveler from for crafts sake...and save up for a better cutter...for now I'll deal with the cheapy one I have!

I have the four quadrant soap mold and hobby grade cutter from craftsake and let me tell you that is the best money I have ever spent. I also use a home made beveler that my hubby made. There are directions on the net to make one and for the life of me I cant remeber where I got em....but google em and you'll find them. I have used the potato peeler and the cheese slicer before and yes its very inconsistent and you have to have a steady, slow hand to make them really nice. I mainly use the cheese slicer to even up my tops of soap so they dont slice me in the shower. (but I only use them on soaps I plan on using) I use the homemade beveler for the soaps I sell to make them more uniform and consistent.

Sorry for the long run on thoughts.....getting tired here at the end of the day.

Pam

Being the tightwad that I am, I ordered a piece of wire (75 cents) in one of my colorant orders last time for such an occasion. I use the yellow plastic mitre box from Home Depot to cut my soaps, and on one end I put two screws by one of the corners and stretched the wire from screw to screw and it makes a perfect bevler.

As soon as I figure out how to make one of those hobby cutters, its mine.

Yes, that link is not longer good. Here is the text; the pics are gone.

Take a standard 1 by 4 plank. The two sides are 8" long and the "bevel" part is 11" long. (Home Depot will cut the pieces for you)

Take one 8" side board and lay it flat.

Take the 11" boards and make a "V" shape on the 8" piece approx. 1/2" apart.

Draw markings as to where there were going to be placed on the 8" piece. Duplicate the process on the other 8" piece.

Use a hot glue gun to stabilize the pieces so you can nail planks together.

Note how the 11" piece is set off so that you have a "stand"

Take some picture hanger wire and make two slits on either side of the 11" pieces, just enough to hold wire in place. Use two screws to anchor the wire (note the coil still in place, this is so ypu could replace the wire when it wears out). Sit the soap on an angle and slide it towards you. You can place a disposable plate under it to catch your shavings.

Here's a pic of mine, standing on it's side so you can see it well.

bevel.jpg

Guest EMercier

BTW, I like the way the soaps come out. I need to use the wood I have in the house for that. I have so much wood, I need to use it.

• 1 month later...
I can't figure out where the wire goes/is in that pic. E???

But I'm a visual kinda person and I need to see it (even if it's only in my head) and I just can't visualize where the wire would be. :(

Oops forgot to log out of my secret identity. LOL

I'm not E, but if you look closely in the middle of the "V" portion, you can see the tiny silver wire.