Pineapple scraps to soap!

TallTayl

I’ve fermented pineapple, an other fruit waste, into tasty vinegar, but never took it this far to make cleaning products. I bet it smells heavenly! 

At the start of the video you’ll see the vinegar  “mother” thick disc floating at the top of the vat.  My hens love the natural mother from making kombucha and vinegars. 

my daughter is studying something similar for her AP research project using local produce waste. Hopefully she can carry it through university and one day have a local solution like this ❤️.

has anyone else made fruit vinegars? Apple? Pineapple? Other?

• Like 4

Not so much vinegar... but growing up in the late 70's early 80's, my friend and I would help his father make wine.  We're Portuguese, so what else were we supposed to do... Ha! 

We would crush the grapes in this barrel setup he had, add sugar to the grape juice... and after some time... I can't recall if it was weeks or months, we / he would then have wine.  My friend and I were in our early teens at this point.

But moreso, we would take all the crushed peels and seeds and his father would make moonshine (aguardente) with it.  That took what seemed like forever.  He had this still in this adjoining locked room in the basement.  It was like watching an episode of M*A*S*H or The Dukes of Hazzard... curled copper lines / piping that would literally just drip this clear liquid into a bottle.  I think he added sugar as well to that to ferment.   

Ahh... the good ol' days.  

• Like 1