Blending help to curb the cologne smell

I have several FO that smell “cologne like” to my nose — mainly water or woodsy FO’s. I’m experimenting adding some “green/herbish” to the water FO’s to see how that curbs the cologne. But what about the woodsy/smokey FO’s that smell cologne-ish?  Any advice to counter cologne but still smell like wood/smoke?

@birdcharm hmmm, I can’t tell what is making the wood and/or smoke FO smell cologne like. They just smell like mens cologne to me. 🤷‍♀️ I’ve read on the forum about adding something “herb-ish” to help a water FO that smells cologne like — i guess I was hoping there was something someone would know to help the others. Pine FO are normally NOT cologne like, but blending a pine seems to turn any FO to pine. I’m currently working with AAA pinion pine (now I think they are Waxy Flower) i can smell the pinion faintly — but it mostly smells like mens cologne and I was trying to cut thru that smell. Maybe I just need to take all the cologne like FO I have and put them in 1 giant bottle 😂 and call it good.

One way to try to combat the cologne aspect may be to add something on the rustic side, I think the word I'm looking for is "agrestic" -- scents that come to mind for that are cedar (not e/o, but f/o), and juniper berry (of which an e/o may work), or, as suggested, something very woody or smokey.

Adding a touch of green or herbaceous notes can definitely help balance out the scent of the water-based FOs, but with woodsy or smokey fragrances, it can be a bit trickier. One thing you could try is pairing those fragrances with a more earthy or musky scent, which could help tone down the cologne-like smell. Alternatively, you could try adjusting the ratios of your fragrance oils to see if you can find a sweet spot where the woodsy or smokey notes come through without the cologne-like aspect being too strong.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Milk Machine said:

Have you tried Midwest Fragrance Company's Smoked Cedar & Oud. To me it was too woody and too smokey. So maybe that could be more what you want or something to use as a blender

I actually have that midwest fo — but haven’t poured it yet. Definitely an easy try!  Thanks!

14 hours ago, birdcharm said:

One way to try to combat the cologne aspect may be to add something on the rustic side, I think the word I'm looking for is "agrestic" -- scents that come to mind for that are cedar (not e/o, but f/o), and juniper berry (of which an e/o may work), or, as suggested, something very woody or smokey.

I have a couple of cedar FO I’ve never been particularly fond of OOB so haven’t gotten around to pouring them — I’ll try mixing those in and see what I think — thanks!!

• Like 1