chunk help

hi, i made my first chunk candle with j223, I know, too soft but I wanted to try to see how it is.. it's ok but would like to be more clear to make it a bit more firm to cut. The problem is I have searched the board and no answers- I just found that it's best to use straight paraffin. Wouldn't the straight paraffin be cheap looking? I love the quaity of j223 is why I was trying with j223. Just wondering... TIA!

I haven't seen the straight paraffin from suppliers but I have seen it in craft stores and went, yuck! it reminds me of cheap candles at dollar stores... I never use this stuff yet. I guess adding color, vybar, fo makes it better?

I am going to try my hand at mixing these two to make my chunks, but I thought I would try J223 75% + votive wax 25% for starters.

My concerns are:

(1) My standard zinc wicks in the same size container as my regular J223 candles being able to handle the votive wax to get an even melt; and,

(2) The chunks holding enough FO.

Do I need to wick UP if I use chunks?

All suggestions and hints will be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ginger

I was so busy reading everything yes., that I forgot to post a couple of replies. I loved your chunk candle. I just have to remember to take my time when cutting my chunks w/ the roller (some come out diff. sizes--ugh!).

I never liked my chunks to be all the same size/shape. For me, if I made them too small, I got air pockets, where the wax didn't make it into all the nooks, while pouring the over fill. If I made them too large, I lose the effect I wanted. Put some big ones in the bottom and small ones around the top, and I got just what I wanted...

Your mileage may vary.

For the last several years I've been using a pizza cutter/roller to cut chunks. I start cutting as the edges as soon as they're set, by the time I get to the center of the sheet of wax it's set, too. A pastry sheet is my "mold" for the wax sheet.

Melva in KY:)

I am going to try my hand at mixing these two to make my chunks, but I thought I would try J223 75% + votive wax 25% for starters.

My concerns are:

(1) My standard zinc wicks in the same size container as my regular J223 candles being able to handle the votive wax to get an even melt; and,

(2) The chunks holding enough FO.

Do I need to wick UP if I use chunks?

Ginger

You'll prolly need to wick up, due to the different wax formula. If you used the same wax that you always use and just made some of it into chunks, it wouldn't change the wicking. Basically it would all be the same wax, just a different color. The burn characteristics would be just like a layered candle.

Different story, if the chunks are of a different wax than the overfill, or if they're different from the wax you normally use.

As for the FO... if the wax is the same, the FO retention will be the same. If the chunks are a different wax, and they don't hold quite enough FO, it might not be so bad, since the chunks only make up about 1/2 to 1/3 of the candle, anyway. I have gone as far as using unscented chunks and the scent was a bit weaker, but not a disaster. Just not as strong as I wanted.

With lavender, you could prolly use unscented chunks and a full load in the overfill, and still make the neighbor's eyes water.