Let the good times roll - taxes

Crafty1_AJ

Yahoo!  Tax season is upon us.  🤮  On the plus side, Amazon and Etsy are now collecting sales tax for me in my state, so less work for me!  Whoop, whoop!  I used to have to collect and remit myself.  Less paperwork = happier AJ.

I like to think I get a bit more organized and efficient with each passing year when it comes to tax time.  Hubs is relentless -- "Got that Schedule C completed yet?"  There's no way I can forget April looms. 😆

What tips do you have for making tax time less stressful?  What software do you use for your bookkeeping?  Like it?  Or eyeing a change in means and methods?  I'm old school -- I love Excel spreadsheets.  And I toss all receipts into a basket all year long, then sort 'em at tax time. Don't laugh too hard!  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

PTSD...   

So I use https://www.waveapps.com/ which is free online accounting app.  Like quick books but free.  Love it.

The other saving grace for me is Dropbox.  I have the free version.  Get the app on my phone and every (non-online) purchase I take a pic of the receipt and it saves it to dropbox for me.  If it is not a typical place I order from online, I will save that receipt into dropbox.  This all makes like soo much easier at the end of the year.  Now WAVE is suppose to offer something like this but I just haven't tried it.

Rarely can I get everything imputed in time to meet the 4/15 deadline, I always file an extension.

One thing think about....   You can invest up to ~20% of profits into SEP IRA or a SOLO 401k pre tax.  I would talk to a financial planner about this.  Doesn't matter if you already invest in a work 401k or anything.  This helps lower the tax burden some at tax time.  Turbo tax has a section to let you know max your max contribution can be for these.  Considering this is a side hustle for me I try to take full advantage of this.

• Like 1