Working with containers that narrow at bottom

Okay, so I normally stay away from these, but I'm thinking about a candle design that might work in a container that narrows a bit toward the bottom.  So far I've tried to find a wick that's a little too small for the top part, but eventually burns off the wax hang up; also using a long-necked wick tab to put the candle out sooner, but I'm concerned about excess heat near the bottom.  Now I'm wondering about using a harder wax toward the bottom of the candle to make it safer, or should I just give up on this one? 

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

Okay, so I normally stay away from these, but I'm thinking about a candle design that might work in a container that narrows a bit toward the bottom.  So far I've tried to find a wick that's a little too small for the top part, but eventually burns off the wax hang up; also using a long-necked wick tab to put the candle out sooner, but I'm concerned about excess heat near the bottom.  Now I'm wondering about using a harder wax toward the bottom of the candle to make it safer, or should I just give up on this one? 

Your instincts are right on.

A harder to burn wax at the bottom often solves a lot of the last burn blues. It acts as an emergency brake at the most critical part of the burn. It might not take much, just to the top of the wick tab neck should help noticeably. Bonus that depending wax choice, it can add stability to the wick tab. and if poured a wee bit over the neck of the wick tab,  it can steady the pinch point where the wick yarn is bent to help reduce the lean on those flat, cordless wicks that like to weigh themselves down and out of center. 

• Like 1