Show: should i do again?

SnowCow

hi all,

i need some advice from you. i did a non-craft show this weekend - it was a hunting/fishing show and they advertise there is "stuff for the ladies" who get dragged there by their husbands/bf/whatever. I was dragged there myself a couple times and thought it would be a good place to have a candle table b/c the only "ladies stuff" is jewlery. so, i went and it was smaller than the last time i had been and it was really slow. i did OK, booth fee is not bad at all for 2 days. my in-laws came on the 2nd day to help me load out and they talked to the other vendors and had talked to some of their friends at home. some of the vendors (the actual hunting/fishing people) said they would not come back next time and some of the customers said they were really disappointed and would probably not come back. after talking to some of the other vendors around me, a lot of them said they did ok, but not great.

i did see quite a few vendors reserve a spot for next time, which is in october. i already put a small deposit down for same table next to the same jewlery lady (she was fun to talk to and we would watch each other's tables for potty runs). i'm just not sure i should do it again. i have thought about how i can change up my stock to make it more appealing, but if there are no customers there, it just won't matter. i'm leaning towards doing it just this one extra time and if it flops again, then i wouldn't do it again unless i knew it started to pick up.

anyone have any thoughts?

I will be doing my first show this fall so I have no "expert" advice for you. Guess my question is, did you at least make back your fee? If not, and if you think the show is going to probably have the same amount of traffic next year, I probably would not do it again. If you made money, I would give it one more try.

Hi Snow

I am a comicbook/bath and body vendor :) I do gun shows so the children and ladies that dont like CB's have something. When I know I am going to do a show I make fliers and advertise myself as well as what they are doing. To add to that I do raffles and dice game. Buck a play. Or do demostrations and get the women and children to watch you. watch the money. Another advice the least advertised shows is where I shine my self and I bring in 400-700 while others struggle and cry. MY booth is the happening spot at every show.

what you will need 2 dice

a 36 by 4 board (liegible is key) white board from home depot or lowes 4 bucks

black or colored

straight edge

2 stadard 6 sided dice

Merch

Poster board

Microphone or a good set of lungs

2-12 are posible numbers 2 3 5 12 I do the good prizes

Snow,

It's your decision, but from the shows we've done this year we've learned that things are a little slow and the turn out for some of the shows was down a little. Some of that was attributed to the rising gas prices at the time with no one sure when the increases would stop and that may have caused people to stay home or hold onto their $ more. Other factors were the weather as rain tends to keep people away. The vendors we were next to all said they give a show two tries before making a decision as to come back or not.

Maybe for fun, you "rename" some of your best selling scents to things like "Hunting Widow" or something to get a laugh. Sometimes a catchy name, like Monkey Farts, will get people's attention and once you have their attention..... :D

Girl I dont know what to tell ya. Victoria MD is getting so bad they cancelled for a few months. We had a total of 25 vendors last time!! I am thinking of not going back, but the only reason I might is becuase I have an established clientel there. IF it werent for that I would not. You have to ask yourself, if it was worth it. If it was then go for it!!!