Cold and Hot throw of sage/lemongrass FO

Bella Luna

Well, I'm new here. I've been lurking for quite awhile, but this is my first post.

So, my question is... what has been your experience with the cold and hot throw of Peak's sage and lemongrass FO? I was making votives and found it to be... not quite adequate? This is what I did:

4794 (votive blend)

1 oz pp of FO

First pour at 175 into warm votive molds.

Second pour the following day at 185.

I can hardly smell it. Any suggestions/experiences?

I've been using 4794 for several years. I usually heat it to 175 add UV and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Then, I bring it down to about 165, add FO/color and pour. I do my repour around 170. I haven't had any problems. HTH.

Thanks Sherie. Do you think it's that I poured too hot then? Maybe I burned off some of the fragrance (or whatever happens to it, hehe)?

I haven't used the S&L in 4794 (I only had a 1 oz sample bottle and had promised a friend some tarts)

I used a blend of J223 and 6228 with this and you could just about catch the cold throw from 3 blocks away - with a cold - being upwind of the house - while driving away with the windows rolled up

And the hot throw was even better than the cold!

ok, so maybe I am exaggerating just a tad - but this one has had one of the best throws - cold or hot - that I have come across

Thanks Sherie. Do you think it's that I poured too hot then? Maybe I burned off some of the fragrance (or whatever happens to it, hehe)?

I can't say for sure, but anything is possible. Try pouring it a little cooler and see what happens. My votives don't have to cure with 4794. They are awesome the next day; one reason I love this wax. Let us know how they are if your try pouring them cooler. Also, like the others said above, have someone else test them for you. Some times the stronger FO's can give your "candle nose" preventing you from smelling them. Good Luck!

Bella, I use this FO with 4794 too, with good results. I do the same thing as you (1st pour 175, 2nd pour 185) except I use only 1/2 oz per lb. Also, I don't warm up my molds first, nor do I wait until the next day for the repour. I repour about 3 hrs later as soon as it is cool.

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses!

And scrubzz, I just about fell out of my chair laughing...

To answer some other questions... the one I tested last night had only sat for a couple hours after the 2nd pour.... It burned oddly though... pretty good at first, but it still didn't reach all the way to the edge of the votive holder... I'm using the LX12's... maybe I should try the HTP 41 next?

Anyway. Yes, I'm a huge newbie! I appreciate all your help!

Well here's a thought -- step away from a candle till it has at least sat for 24 hours lol. Longer is better lol. I rarely smell a damn thing, especially burning after removal from mold. Something I read out of a book once was it's better to have candles cure a minimum of 24 hours before burning.