A couple questions

Had a couple of hours drive both coming and going on my recent little trip and had to keep what everyone laughingly refers to as my mind occupied so naturally I thought quite a bit about candles - came up with a couple of things I wanted to ask -

First on UV Inhibitor - When you pour candles for testing purposes do you have to add UV also or can you leave it out to save a bit of $ and just add it after all testing is done? I have never read anywhere where it affects anything except fading. And do you add UV to your jar candles?

And next - What would you say "Shelf Life" is on candles before they are burned? - I know they can fade even using UV but down the road do you start losing fragrance or have any other changes?

Funny how your thinking starts to revolve around candles, huh?

I add UV to my prestos everytime I add wax, so yes, I have it in all testers. In my experience it hasn't affected the burn any and I believe I have read that others are of the same opinion. And yes, UV inhibitor goes in the votive pot, the pillar pot, the container pot and the hurricane pot.

Shelf life I have heard varying opinions. All I can tell you is I have opened and burned jars two years later and they still smell great. Soy tends to morph more than parafin, I think...gets frosty.

Hope you had a great unwind!

When testing, I don't add UV inhibitor because, as you said, it doesn't affect the burn. I do add UV inhibitor to my jar candles. As far as the shelf life, I believe they can last indefinitely if stored properly such as in a cool dark place. That's for paraffin but I'm not sure about soy. HTH some! I'm sure you'll get other opinions :)

I don't sell and have never used UV so I can't help ya there. None of mine have faded, but none are in direct sunlight or over 2 years old either.

It's been my experience that properly wrapped and stored (meaning kept in a moderate temp year around) candles don't lose color or scent. I have had one that bleed a bit of color on to the wrapping but that only happened once and wasn't to bad. But I haven't had any of my candles longer than 2 years. Candles that I've left out, a couple has lost some cold throw, but it didn't seem to effect the hot throw at all. Yet I have one thats been sitting out for months, and you can still get a whiff of the cold throw when you walk by it. I think it really depends on the strength and quality of the fo used when it comes to that. HTH

My house has lots of windows and I have pillars displayed all over the place. Despite the year-round sunshine, I don't use UV and none of them have ever faded unless they got hit with direct sunlight.

Some people report that vanilla fragrances will turn a white candle yellow, and blue shades will fade the fastest.

Well it's habit for me, so UV goes into everything. A red candle I made about 7 years ago finally started to fade. I've had candles I've made for myself, those little experiments w/ new molds etc., that have held scent for up to four years.

Peaks UV really isn't that expensive considering you are only using 1/2 tsp pp. I'm more concerned about forgetting to use it on products I do want to sell - ancient minds and all that. So I do what several others do. Add it when I add wax.