Using a Stylus

Hi all! We were talking about this the other day in the General Section and I had to wait for dh to install my fireworks program so I oculd post a picture. But here are the candles I did a couple of years ago using my Stylus to imprint the candle with the image and using wax paint to fill in the indentation. I think they look really cool. The only one I tried to do freehand was the purple on the bottom with the gold paint, you can tell I tried freehand and I'm not so good at it...LOL

post-1897-139458392268_thumb.jpg

Actually....I'm not artistic in that sort of way either. I just find a picture (in this case celtic knotwork) that I like. Make sure it has a nice bold outline, print it out, tape the paper around my candle, use the stylus to trace the picture onto the candle, this causes the indentation and then I just use wax paint and a fine point brush to fill in the indentation. Much easier than trying free-hand (which you can see I suck at...LOL)

Dover Publications has lots of books that have royalty free graphics and such for artists and crafters, I buy the books with a cd so I can just print one picture at a time and use everything over and over again..My dad uses them for his leather-work And my mom for her quilts, now they are some really artistic and crafty people...LOL

Wow, they all look great. I've tried painting on candles using a stencil but like the idea of a stylus - it MIGHT make me more accurate (tho' probably not). You mentioned Dover books for ideas - which can you recommend? I'll then do a search over here and see if I can get it in Oz. Thanks, Mozz

That is such a good idea. I have a stylus.....I haven't done that....yet. I was using an ink pad and stamping on a desing....your idea is way better. Thanks for sharing......I will be doing it this way from now on.:highfive: PS.....my DH just walked into the room...and said "Hmmmmm"...never thought of that either. Thanks again. I am going to do a Celtic Knot and take it to our store here this week. Way to go Kim. Donita

Wow, they all look great. I've tried painting on candles using a stencil but like the idea of a stylus - it MIGHT make me more accurate (tho' probably not). You mentioned Dover books for ideas - which can you recommend? I'll then do a search over here and see if I can get it in Oz. Thanks, Mozz

Hi Mozzie!

Dover has lots of books, I have one called Celtic Designs for Artists and Craftspeople.

Just be sure to get the ones that say Permission-Free or Royalty Free Designs and you can use them on your art and sell them to the public. And I make sure to get the ones with the CD so I can just print the picture I want to use without having to try to photo copy or cut it out of the book. There are tons of them out there.

www.doverpublications.com or you can buy them on www.Amazon.com (a bit cheaper here)

As far as which books to pick, I would say buy the ones with black and white pictures that look like they can be easily reproduced. Like if i'm embossing some knotwork on a candle I try to pick one that doesnt have toooo much intricate detail, because after I get done tracing the picture on the candle and I take off the paper it can be kind of hard to see. Depending on the candle of course.

Have fun!

That is such a good idea. I have a stylus.....I haven't done that....yet. I was using an ink pad and stamping on a desing....your idea is way better. Thanks for sharing......I will be doing it this way from now on.:highfive: PS.....my DH just walked into the room...and said "Hmmmmm"...never thought of that either. Thanks again. I am going to do a Celtic Knot and take it to our store here this week. Way to go Kim. Donita

I didnt actually think of it, my dad does leather-work and was looking at one of my plain pillars and said "Hey Kim try this..." And it worked out really well, those candles you saw were all christmas gifts one year, everyone loved them!

I just love the idea that you guys will be doing that too, it is wayy cool! Take a picture of the candle when your done! I want to see!!!