Resins & absolutes in scent

birdcharm

Can someone fill me in if a slight addition of either of these would adversely affect how a candle burns?  I've seen it commented that diluted resins should not be added to a candle scent as it may not burn well, even in small amounts.  Yet, I have also seen the addition of diluted resin as a component included in some scents available.  What do you think? 

My other question is about absolutes ... for instance, Tonka Bean ... should this never be added to a fragrance oil, or is it okay?

Many beautiful fragrances use resins. I have a few with vanilla type notes that “throw crystals” when cool.  They need to be heated, shaken and used quickly.  One particular custom blend had to be heated to nearly boiling before adding to the wax,  what a pain.  So many resins can be used, but beware of how they may not blend perfectly without some gymnastics. Some resins clog or otherwise gunk up wicking.  Frankincense comes to mind here.  Those sometimes just need different wick series.

tonka, I’ve only used FO. The coumarin in it seems to be what is not advised for consumption.  Cou,rain is also in uncontrolled spices like cinnamon so i hake my head. Other countries rely on tonka as a flavoring component, but I don’t have the safety of it in a candle confirmed. 

ETA: I have never found any documents that advise not using coumarin in candles or skin products in the US.

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Many beautiful fragrances use resins. I have a few with vanilla type notes that “throw crystals” when cool.  They need to be heated, shaken and used quickly.  One particular custom blend had to be heated to nearly boiling before adding to the wax,  what a pain.  So many resins can be used, but beware of how they may not blend perfectly without some gymnastics. Some resins clog or otherwise gunk up wicking.  Frankincense comes to mind here.  Those sometimes just need different wick series.

tonka, I’ve only used FO. The coumarin in it seems to be what is not advised for consumption.  Cou,rain is also in uncontrolled spices like cinnamon so i hake my head. Other countries rely on tonka as a flavoring component, but I don’t have the safety of it in a candle confirmed. 

ETA: I have never found any documents that advise not using coumarin in candles or skin products in the US.

I'm thinking that a small amount of absolute would be okay in regard to candle performance, but I'm really not sure about resins, the more I think about it.  In regard to coumarin, I think the toxicity problem occurs if digested in large amounts.

~~~

I found an article in regard to tonka bean in perfumery that I think is interesting ... (link to full article)

"Baked cherries, almonds, sweet hay, cloves, vanilla and caramel… The aroma of tonka beans, the seeds from the fruits of the Dipteryx Odorata tree native to South America, has a fascinating complexity and richness. An important note in a perfumer’s palette, tonka bean absolute (and its main component coumarin) lends fragrances a unique facet. The oriental genre in perfumery is inconceivable without the candied almond and vanilla note of tonka ..."

"While the USA has banned the use of coumarin as a flavor since 1953, many countries in Europe still allow it. In fact, when tonka beans or coumarin are described as tobacco-like, it has do to with the reverse association—tonka tincture has been used extensively to flavor cured tobacco leaves and pipe tobacco blends. In the course of my own experiments with tonka beans as a flavor, I find that the combination of tonka bean and chocolate is ambrosial, with the spicy almond flavor complementing the bitterness of cocoa. I also like to add a pinch of ground tonka bean to dishes containing cherries because it brings out their luscious aroma."

• Like 1

I’ve been unsuccessful searching for a current IFRA for tonka absolute.  Perfumers world charges for documents… I may write to another to see what we can find.

I found directly on the IFRA site the limits for all categories of coumarin are well under <1%

• Like 1

The only time I added resin to a FO formula I had to wick up like it was a monster. Because it was such a headache for me, I used it for tarts for awhile. There are definitely a lot of resins that I love working with or just sitting around sniffing. I haven't touched absolutes but wanted to at one point before life went a little haywire. 

• Like 1