Since I did it all wrong last time, help me go with this idea-

daniedb

Okay, since I screwed up last time by sharing an idea with a vendor that I wanted to be proprietary, I've learned my lesson. Now I need your help with figuring out how to get another project accomplished without falling into the same sticky situation as last time. I can't figure out how to ask for it without divulging my idea - I need some custom packaging made up for a candle set, but it would be very unique, and I'd have to share what my idea is in order to get a price quote on the packaging.

Should I call one of the big candle supply houses and have the person I speak with sign a non-disclosure agreement before I discuss the idea? I don't want to go overboard, but I also don't want to worry about sharing my idea with the world.

Also, does anyone have any resources for manufacturers of custom gift packaging? I'm not looking for jars or containers, but for the packaging that the jars would go into as a collection - does that make sense?

If it is just packaging you are talking about then probably other manufacturers can handle it, who are not in candle business themselves. They probably have less interest to steal your idea.

Best,

Eva

Dont talk to anybody that can't manufacture the product themselves. I dont know of many big candle supply places that can manufacture that kind of product. There are tons of packaging manufactures out there, but getting custom work done might not be as easy to find... and I'm sure its gona be alot more of an investment compared to a custom scent being made for you. If you dont TM or Register or what ever you have to do with unique packaging, someone big will find it, pick it up and run with it. so protect yourself when you do find a manufacture.... or before you even show it to them. Bruce

I think what she is asking though, is HOW she would go about protecting herself? Does she need to make a proto type herself and then get the patent for it or trademark it first or what?

I hope that you can find some help with this Danielle, and when you get it all settled/legal etc. I'm dying to know what it is. :D

Michi, exactly! I obviously learned that if you share your idea, it's fair game, and so I need to figure out how to get a prototype or whatever to tm it without sharing my idea with anyone who can then turn around and share it with other people before I have a chance to put it together!

It may not be a great idea, but I like it, and I would love to share it with you - I hope I can find an affordable way to do it and in a reasonable amount of time!

It may not be a great idea, but I like it, and I would love to share it with you - /quote]

Well if its a spherical, Hermetically sealed, anti-gravity, flotation chamber with reverse magnets for rotation....forget it, thats my idea. ;) If not, a Graphic Designer is a great idea, dont know if you would need a sample mock up of it or not though. I hate to say you should maybe talk to a lawyer but... Bruce

Okay the lawyer in me (hey, I'll be one in six months!! :yay: just gotta pass the Bar!) says that you should talk to a lawyer. You seem to have a great business and great ideas to further your business and now would be the time to start a relationship with a reputable law firm to help you through the patent/copyright/trademark process. It would also help to have someone on call to write the nasty cease & desist letters, etc if/when someone tries to steal your ideas and to have someone draft a non-disclosure agreement if that's what you need. It would definitely be worth the money you would spend.

LMBO, Bruce! How did you know?!

I don't know why I hadn't thought of an attorney before...what a brilliant idea. Duh. Very good idea. Thankfully, I have some good contacts so I shouldn't have trouble finding a good one.

Thank you all very much!

You need to talk to a packaging manufacturer. I don't know what scale you operate on, but I can tell you, custom boxes won't be cheap. I don't have it available right now, but I recently received quotes on simple boxes. The quote was for a custom, 4-color box. They had minimum quantities of 1200 - 2500. Depending on the dimensions, of a box somewhere around the size of 3.5" x 3.5", the cost varied from .91ea to .59 ea. Of course, the more you print, the cheaper the cost, but I don't even need 1200 boxes, so it was a no deal for me.

Talk a rep and they can at least give you an idea of what ordinary boxes would cost to see if it's even feasible for a special shaped or innovative container.