Jump to content

Why are there little craters in my candle?


Recommended Posts

I’m using a double boiler to melt my wax, but I’m about to move on to using a crock pot wax melter. I read an article on candle making mistakes that are frequently made. And it talks about water mixing with melted wax. Maybe that’s my problem? If not I could use some help!

 

also I am using beeswax. I wish I could use soy wax to make this candle but it’s just so brittle and easily breaks when I pull it out of the mold. So I’m stuck using beeswax 

751A0545-AFA3-4027-B578-4072A2DCFA1C.jpeg

Edited by Enotionaldebt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can try mold release, different pouring temp. You can try soy pillar wax, or paraffin pillar wax. It sounds like you were just using regular soy container wax. That is too soft for molded candles. Sometimes its the type of mold that can cause problems, not all molds are good and will leave surface issues. Make sure you leave the candle alone before unmolding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By the color and texture It looks like moisture got blended into the beeswax.  I use a presto pot direct heat for beeswax and no longer see that effect. If using fragrance, make sure it’s an oil based candle fragrance, not one that is water based. 

 

If it were just air bubbles along the mold the lock marks would be more rounded, and the rest of the surface would not be so matte. I DO use a silicone based release spray in all molds which does help promote shiny smooth surfaces and minimize air trapped.

 

also, heat/pour temps. I tend to heat to about 155-160 and pour at that temp.  Too low an you get surface imperfections.  Oo high and the wax won’t shrink properly and often sticks hard to the molds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Enotionaldebt said:

Hey so this beeswax is a white beeswax instead of the regular yellow beeswax. Also let me send photos of what my mold looks like on the inside 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is the candle with the pockmarks scented?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I can see, there is wax stuck on your mold so you are getting clean release. I suggest trying another mold and see if removal is the same. Next candle get mold release spray. Why don’t you try blending beeswax with paraffin pillar blend for a test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...