Benchmark Insurance - Ohio Arts & Crafts Guild

ebcandles

Anyone carry this insurance? I carried their general liability plus business property beginning in October and just cancelled my policy this month. They dont cover my products if I sold wholesale so I had to find another alternative.

FYI - they dont offer a refund on their General Liability Insurance so please be careful about this. I had no idea this portion was non-refundable and now I am out of $250.00 :mad:

I am sooo pissed off. I have written a letter to the president requesting my refund.

Be careful and dont make the same mistake I did. :sad2:

If your Selling wholesale or to the public directly...

What's the difference?? You are selling your product. :shocked2:

Didn't they tell you this when you set up your policy...

Is it in the written policy regarding wholesale..

Don't give up!!! Ask them why it was not disclosed to you... I would be pretty ticked off too...

Good Luck:)

Carmen did YOU cancel your policy...or did they? If they cancelled your policy it would have been on renewal. If they cancelled your policy they would have to refund your money....if you terminate the policy then most companies do not refund your money.

If something would have happened they would have been obligated to cover it unless it was specifically spelled out in your policy that it was not a covered peril. More than likely the company would have non renewed you...but they would have to give you fair warning so that you could place other coverage.

I would call to see if your policy could be reinstated....then look for other coverage....dont do without.

I cancelled because they dont cover wholesale. I went and found another company who would cover wholesale bath and candles. I had no idea they do not offer refunds on a policy. How is that possible? How can they keep your money for a policy that i only had for less than 3 months? I paid for a full year up front and cancelled after 3 months.

Had I known I wasnt going to get a refund, i would not have cancelled.

I cancelled because they dont cover wholesale. I went and found another company who would cover wholesale bath and candles. I had no idea they do not offer refunds on a policy. How is that possible? How can they keep your money for a policy that i only had for less than 3 months? I paid for a full year up front and cancelled after 3 months.

Almost all Business Policies have an Early Termination Policy. Most will just charge you a percentage penalty like 15-20%. If you read the fine print on the policy you should find it burried somewhere in there.

Carmen,

I am going to have to look at their application but I don't remember them ever saying that you couldn't sell wholesale. When I talked to them they told me that they cover whatever you sell. I would be really upset too. I they forgot to tell me this little tid bit. Thanks for sharing this. Now I am going to have to look somewhere else.

I called as soon as I read this post! They told me that when they designed this policy 20 years ago it was for doing craft shows and home parties. She explained that this was before the internet and people were selling wholesale. It doesn't make much sense to me, but that was the explanation that I got.

I wondered did it mean selling wholesale like FO's, gallon of lotion etc or selling wholesale to a business owner who wants our bottle of lotion, candles etc and buy them at our wholesale price.That is my question???Or ALL wholesale.No matter what it is.Gallon or a 8 ounce bottle.

LynnS

Yes that was what I was trying to say. Because those who do wholesale on a small scale (e.g. $100 at a time) could actually be selling less than someone who does retail on a larger scale (e.g. going to craft shows/farmers markets regularly and making $500 each time).

I would like to offer a guess on the reason they do not cover you if you sell wholesale. see they buy your products to sell to their own customers- so if for some reason one of your candles starts a fire- or there is an accident the customer will be angry and may sue the company you sold it to. at the very least itll make the company you sold to look bad. and they may want to sue you for loss of face...or charge you for lost business. see what Im getting at? its a bigger risk for your insurance company for that reason.