How little is too little?

kepoore

Hello, all! I do not have a business selling candles yet, but it’s in the works and I’ve been doing a lot of planning and research. I’m currently thinking about containers. I see a lot of shops carrying 2 or 3 types of containers in a verity of sizes, but I am leaning toward starting off with one 8oz jar, but I’m not sure if that will hurt me or help me. Hurt me because I won’t have much of a selection to offer; help me because I’m doing all of my testing with only one jar. Plus, less materials = a little easier on my wallet.

Being a brand new business, I do not expect to even break even in the beginning, so that is why my brain is saying “let’s start very small and slowly build up inventory”, but another part of me thinks a lot of people won’t even look my way with only about 5 scents in one single 8oz jar. 

On 1/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, kepoore said:

Hello, all! I do not have a business selling candles yet, but it’s in the works and I’ve been doing a lot of planning and research. I’m currently thinking about containers. I see a lot of shops carrying 2 or 3 types of containers in a verity of sizes, but I am leaning toward starting off with one 8oz jar, but I’m not sure if that will hurt me or help me. Hurt me because I won’t have much of a selection to offer; help me because I’m doing all of my testing with only one jar. Plus, less materials = a little easier on my wallet.

Being a brand new business, I do not expect to even break even in the beginning, so that is why my brain is saying “let’s start very small and slowly build up inventory”, but another part of me thinks a lot of people won’t even look my way with only about 5 scents in one single 8oz jar. 

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not doing candles right now, just melts. You'll find that the more you dig and research, the more you'll want to change things up. Originally I was just going to offer the 1oz portion cup (holds .8oz) for plug-in and smaller warmers, the 2oz cup for larger warmers, and the little half-round mini-melts in bags. Then I started searching Etsy to see what was out there since that's one place I'm going to start. I realized that I'm going to have to offer more than just that if I wanna even try to compete. There it seems like the more different things you have to offer, the better your chances are of getting sales. Now, in person it could be different. In your case I would concentrate on that one jar and perfect it. Then work on your scent collection. Decide how many scents you would like to start out offering, then test each one you order until you get what you need. You might have to try oils from different suppliers to make your perfect candle. Once you get that and get into the routine and get to know how your wax burns, you can move on to testing one more jar with the same scents you've already tested in your first jar. Use the wicking notes you take from your first jar that way you'll have an idea of what scents you might have to wick up or wick down. Just take your time, get it right, get your first line of jars going. Then you can have those for sale while working on your next jar. 

Good luck with everything! It can get frustrating, but when you get something right it makes it all worth while! 😃

More jar options = more customer confusion.  As a customer, When I have 3 jars to pick from and multiple scents I get paralyzed with choices. 

as a maker, more jars = more headaches with ip testing, production and jar inventory. 

also as a maker, I know that not every wax is a good match for every size container. I love coconut waxes in a 3” wide x 3-4” tall jar.  That same wax is junk in a bigger or smaller jar. on the same note, beeswax pillars are best in my line at 3” wide pillar. It does not burn as well in 2” wide “trial size” and actually turned people off of my larger sizes. 

I guess I’m saying, give yourself permission to be ok with 1 size, offer more as limited editions some day in the future if you’re in love with a new style jar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1