Mica Powder

Hello.

I’m relatively new to making parasoy wax melts. Sometimes I’ll make a small batch of melted wax for small molds (i.e., 50 grams) sometimes I’ll make a big batch (470 grams of melted wax) for snap bars. 

I have read different opinions on how much mica should be used (some say 1/2 to 1 tsp per 1 cup of melted wax, others have said 5%). If it’s 5%, what is the equation/formula to figure that out? I’m really confused. Someone PLEASE HELP! Thanks so much!!!! 

Less is more. 5% by weight of mica to wax would be a LOT of mica! 

make a few small batches to see how they color. 25-30 grams of wax is enough to get a good idea. Then just scale up the math to see if it is even sensible from a cost perspective. 

i ended up just using liquid wax dyes that are made for wax. It ended up so much easier 🧟‍♀️ A little sparkle to highlight beat a LOt of mica to color. 

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking the same thing. In my opinion, just dye & no mica looks a lot more chic & classy. I think I’ll just start using liquid dye to color my wax melts only. I just felt like I’d be left out in the wax melt World in a weird way if I didn’t use mica. Thanks again! 

23 hours ago, Waxmermaid562 said:

I’ve been thinking the same thing. In my opinion, just dye & no mica looks a lot more chic & classy. I think I’ll just start using liquid dye to color my wax melts only. I just felt like I’d be left out in the wax melt World in a weird way if I didn’t use mica. Thanks again! 

Do that many people use mica to color wax?  I haven’t heard about that other than maybe to dust them for a little sparkle or shine but then again I have been living in a cave taking a very long hiatus from wax….trying to  get back going again but for what it’s worth I would go with liquid dye as TT suggested