Which soy wax do you like?

Hi all... I made soy candles several years ago, then my mom got sick and, you know, life. Anyway, I still have lots of stuff and made decent side money from them so going to start making them again. I used Ecosoya brand then but wondering what others use and might like better? Also, I'm seeing a lot about Ultracore wicks. Are they really "new" or just rebranded and has anyone used them in soy? 

I don’t have the patience or time to use soy, plus getting a hot throw is challenging, but if I had no other choice I would use C3 or 464. Both are easy to wick with CD / CDN wicks. 

The whole Ultracore thing…. I don’t think they’re the best thing since sliced bread, but they can be good under certain circumstances with awkward fragrances. But as with everything to do with candle making, you’re best off trying them out yourself and seeing what you think.

52 minutes ago, Radiant said:

Hi all... I made soy candles several years ago, then my mom got sick and, you know, life. Anyway, I still have lots of stuff and made decent side money from them so going to start making them again. I used Ecosoya brand then but wondering what others use and might like better? Also, I'm seeing a lot about Ultracore wicks. Are they really "new" or just rebranded and has anyone used them in soy? 

EcoSoya closed up years ago leaving a lot of people stumbling around. The newly re-released version I have heard nothing about yet. 🤷🏻‍♀️

if I were to go back to soy, C3 has always treated me well. Midwest soy with a small amount of beeswax is nice after a decent cure. C1 with a little midwest and coconut wax worked very well for my tins. 

ultra core wicks have been around for a very long time.  They are not all that and a bag of chips by any means. They work well with some waxes (mostly paraffin) in some applications, but are no magic wick. They seem to be what BBW uses in many of their candles. If you like how those paraffin candles burn then you may like the ultra cores. 

Thanks y'all. I found soy easier than paraffin and it sold well in the places I had them so gonna try that again. I haven't heard anything about the new version of EcoSoya either, and don't really remember what others I tried back then, so think I will try the C3

Welcome back to candle making world!  There has been a lot of changes went on while you were away like NGI went out of business and Ecosoya brand was taken over by British wax company Kerax.  They manufactuer CB-Advanced, Pilar Blend, CB-135 & Melt in UK.  Many waxes, FOs & some wicks had been changed little bit also that they might be different than what you used to know.

My favorite soy wax is 464, but I use it with little bit of modification.

Ultracore wick is old wick by manufactured by Fil-Tec.  Some supplier just brought it back.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Radiant said:

Thanks y'all. I found soy easier than paraffin and it sold well in the places I had them so gonna try that again. I haven't heard anything about the new version of EcoSoya either, and don't really remember what others I tried back then, so think I will try the C3

Only Ecosoya PillarBlend is available at Candle Science in USA.  All others are only available in UK.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

EcoSoya closed up years ago leaving a lot of people stumbling around. The newly re-released version I have heard nothing about yet. 🤷🏻‍♀️

if I were to go back to soy, C3 has always treated me well. Midwest soy with a small amount of beeswax is nice after a decent cure. C1 with a little midwest and coconut wax worked very well for my tins. 

ultra core wicks have been around for a very long time.  They are not all that and a bag of chips by any means. They work well with some waxes (mostly paraffin) in some applications, but are no magic wick. They seem to be what BBW uses in many of their candles. If you like how those paraffin candles burn then you may like the ultra cores. 

I've been interested in blending midwest and beeswax. What percentage of beeswax are you doing? Does it help with the frosting of the midwest?

8 hours ago, Wax Boy said:

I've been interested in blending midwest and beeswax. What percentage of beeswax are you doing? Does it help with the frosting of the midwest?

I use white beeswax from Strahl  & Pittsch with midwest soy. 2-3% I found works well to stabilize the Midwest enough to prevent seeping.  Any more WBW and you risk wick issues, but definitely test your FO to be sure what is ideal for your candle. 

Even at low % Midwest alone is pretty unstable, especially when ambient weather conditions change like in my area, and during shipping. 

I melt to 185, hold a few minutes, and blend well before scenting and coloring (if used). I cool the wax to about 105*F before pouring to prevent nasty sinkholes and cavities. Having to heat gun and fill cavities takes too much time and wrecks the prime on the wicks, so I cool first. The quickest way I found was to stir the pour pot down to temp in front of fans. Keep stirring to prevent blobs of wax from forming on the pour pot.  American Soy Organics uses cooling jackets on their melters to get the temps down on a commercial scale. 

I use white beeswax from strahl  & Pittsch specifically as I found others are inconsistent, and do not burn or throw as well as the S&P.  American soy Organics sells the S&P beeswaxes, so pretty convenient all in all.

When you order cases of wax from ASO (and any other wax supplier) ask if they will throw extra tape around the seams of the cases, and a belt of tape around the box.  The cases always arrive broken from the amorphous bag of wax inside stressing the box. 

On 9/8/2021 at 6:14 AM, TallTayl said:

I use white beeswax from Strahl  & Pittsch with midwest soy. 2-3% I found works well to stabilize the Midwest enough to prevent seeping.  Any more WBW and you risk wick issues, but definitely test your FO to be sure what is ideal for your candle. 

Even at low % Midwest alone is pretty unstable, especially when ambient weather conditions change like in my area, and during shipping. 

I melt to 185, hold a few minutes, and blend well before scenting and coloring (if used). I cool the wax to about 105*F before pouring to prevent nasty sinkholes and cavities. Having to heat gun and fill cavities takes too much time and wrecks the prime on the wicks, so I cool first. The quickest way I found was to stir the pour pot down to temp in front of fans. Keep stirring to prevent blobs of wax from forming on the pour pot.  American Soy Organics uses cooling jackets on their melters to get the temps down on a commercial scale. 

I use white beeswax from strahl  & Pittsch specifically as I found others are inconsistent, and do not burn or throw as well as the S&P.  American soy Organics sells the S&P beeswaxes, so pretty convenient all in all.

When you order cases of wax from ASO (and any other wax supplier) ask if they will throw extra tape around the seams of the cases, and a belt of tape around the box.  The cases always arrive broken from the amorphous bag of wax inside stressing the box. 

Wow TallTayl thanks for the detailed instructions!! Luckily for me I live just a few miles away from CandleSoylutions in Oregon so I can pick up my order.

• Like 1