Has anyone ever made these?

What a clever idea! It reminds me a little of one Xmas when I made ice lanterns by filling balloons and freezing them for just a few hours so that they had a thick shell, but weren't frozen all the way through. I cut and removed the balloon, cut the top off the ice ball and poured out the excess water from the center and inserted a tealight. Very pretty, but also very temporary :D. I'm a little confused by what she said about filling with J50, though. I know that in order to do that, the carving must not have gone all the way through the shell, but it still looks like the J50 meltpool would get warm enough to melt through using regular pillar wax. :confused: Sure is cute, and think how much cheaper it would be than those Jack 'o' Lanterns from Big Lots.

Well that was a short lived project :eek: I busted 5 ballons and finally gave up. I tried dipping at 160 and busted the first one in the pot. After that I tried dipping around and below 150 and they all still busted on me. One busted when I dipped it in the cold water. I would love to be able to make these, but there has to be a trick that I'm not doing here. Portia

We actually made one last year - by we I mean by dh and I - it is cute but nothing worth selling. You get a lot of jumplines and the bottom has a tendency to stretch a lot. I followed the instructions on the site mentioned and I understand the filling part. When we carved the face - we did not carve all the way through the shell so you could fill it. If I can find a pic I will put it in the gallery - I can not remember if I took a pic or not.

This is something that we will not attempt again. It took too long to get the shell to the right thickness. Also, try not to blow up the balloon too much. I think we used a round one and blew it up to about 5".

HTH

You need good ballons.....I have only had one burst. Also don't use real cold water to fill the balloons....not warm....just not ice cold. I buy mine from a party store and they are good quality.....I also wear glasses when I am doing them in case of an accident. I have done quite a few. Thanks to some people on this bord....I found out that 160 is a good temp....but buy some ballons and try again.....it is really fun. About.com has the jack o lantern. http://donitahoyer.com/

And BTW....don't leave them in the hot wax too long at a time.

What Gottabt said. Don't blow the ballon up more than 5 to 7". I dipped mine at 160 but kept getting cracks from the top down. You could try a better quality ballon. I never had one burst - just the cracked shell. Had to trim off too much of the tops.

Here is the link to the pitiful one's I made.

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=1094948977;start=11#11

This year I'm watching Big Lots for Halloween jars. LOL