Wax to FO ratio

This may be a dumb question but… if you want to add FO to wax at a 10% ratio that would be 1.6 oz of FO per pound.  Now at this point do you add the 1.6 oz of FO to the full pound of wax or do I subtract 1.6 oz of wax from the pound and then add the FO in its place to make a full pound?  

There are two different, but equally valid ways to look at this. I'll look up the discussion from a few years back, but here's the short and sweet (kinda).

When I started many trips around the sun ago, FO was measured as Oz of FO per lb of wax. 1 oz Per lb of wax calculates to roughly 6.25% (1 divided by 16).

Some people calculate the 1 oz into the "entire" contents of the wax pot to include the FO itself, so 1 oz FO / 17 total oz = 0.058, or 5.8%.

I prefer the first to keep calculations simple. I can just multiply my total wax by a fixed % in one calculation.

Example:

35 oz wax x .06 = 2.1 oz of FO. The total contents will be 35+2.1 = 37.1 wax plus FO.

The other way requires a couple of math steps that are too confusing to try to explain without another cup of coffee :D 

In the end, the differences are very slight. Most waxes on the market have been modified to hold more FO, so a tiny % won't matter too much. 

The most important thing is to be consistent with your measurements and math so everything is controlled and easier to troubleshoot when something goes horribly wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you TallTayl.  I appreciate this forum so much because I know I can come here and get an educated response.  Thanks to you and all the others that keep it going for us to come and learn about candles, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burnsv1 said:

Thank you TallTayl.  I appreciate this forum so much because I know I can come here and get an educated response.  Thanks to you and all the others that keep it going for us to come and learn about candles, etc.

It is the duty of us oldies to lift up the next generation 🤗glad you are finding the answers you need. 

happy chandling my Candleista.  

• Thanks 2