Testing...trimming or not trimming?

I have been testing my 8 oz jj's for about 3 months now using soy wax and am wondering if I should be testing them with the idea that people are following the warning label and trimming down to 1/8" or with the idea that a lot of people don't trim the wicks. I am testing between the htp 105's and the 93's. I'm finding if I don't trim, the htp 93's seem to work fine in some f/o's but if I trim they get pretty weak. The 105's do fine when trimmed but are possibly too hot when not trimmed...especially towards the bottom of the jar where it slightly narrows. What do you go by when testing? Do you assume they trim or do you figure they don't...like I often did before I was educated. The 105's seem fine in most f/o's if trimmed according to the warning label.

Sorry this is so long:shocked2:

Thanks!

-Joanna

Okay, I've done both in my testing and it's good that you know how your candles perform under both conditions. I know for a fact that most of my customers do NOT trim the wicks - they tell me this outright. But, I can't make a candle that performs perfectly in any and every burning situation, so I make a candle that will burn great if the directions are followed. If my customers actually trim the wick and don't marathon burn, they will have a great candle. Guess that means I kinda overwick, but such is life. I'm sure everyone does it differently though.

Personally I test for both. Then try to choose a wick that is at least acceptable for both situations, but aim more towards the untrimmed side, since it is more common. However, I also want to make sure it will burn ok, if not great, when directions are followed. It would look very bad to tell them to trim it on the instructions, then have it not burn well that way :embarasse

Personally, I would assume they DON'T trim them...because I never did before I started making candles. :P

My thoughts exactly. But now that I make candles I am fairly anal about correct burning & trimming to achieve the perfect burn. Hardest on family & they still don't listen sometimes. So I would test the theory of burning ALL day,etc...

I've also tested for both and I always make sure I mention to people burning my candles that by trimming the candle lasts longer because the wax consumption is less (I've weighed before and after to double check that this is true). This helps motivate them to trim in some cases... If not, I know I've done my best.

HTH

Katinka

Well after thinking long and hard...I'm going to test another jar that doesn't narrow towards the bottom. It is too much of a challenge trying to wick something that goes from 2 5/8" on top to about 2" at the bottom. I think if I try 8 oz square mason jars that are 2 1/2"s all the way down I may have better luck.

Sound like a good idea?

Thanks for all the input!:)

Well after thinking long and hard...I'm going to test another jar that doesn't narrow towards the bottom. It is too much of a challenge trying to wick something that goes from 2 5/8" on top to about 2" at the bottom. I think if I try 8 oz square mason jars that are 2 1/2"s all the way down I may have better luck.

Sound like a good idea?

Thanks for all the input!:)

I use the 8 oz square masons and they are pretty easy to wick. If you marathon though, you can get some soot build up, depending on the size wick you choose. I find though that even if the burn seems a little slow at the beginning, it catches up quite nicely further down in the jar, so I don't need to overwick and the throw is just as good. It's all about testing and finding out what works best for you.