IGI 4627 and feedbacks

Kai Ng

Hi everyone! 
Hope everyone are doing well with your candles!! 
I have a doubt in my mind at the moment and would like to ask everyone here. Anyone using IGI 4627 recently or just received new order from this wax? As I’m  thinking about moving to this wax. Do you have any bad/good experiences about this wax recently for the new batch? As I came across the comment section about this wax on Candle Science, and I could see quite a few of negative feedbacks about it, mainly because it’s not same like it used to be?  
Do you think it could be due to the manufacturer side or the seller side - in this case is CS didn’t handle it good when they stock and store it? 
Thank you very much for your attention and I appreciate if anyone could share any recently experience and notices when you guys use it. ☺️

Kai Ng.

Inconsistencies come from the manufacturer, and they are just something we learn to deal with.  The only thing I've heard about 4627 lately is related to moisture in the wax.  Is that the complaint?  If so, no worries. Just open the bag when you receive it to let it get some air, and heat and hold a few minutes before you scent and pour.  That should take care of those issues.  It's fairly common.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

Yea, I would switch back to 4630, but why should I expect that to be better?

My thoughts too. My most recent 4630 was fine, and it performed well.  But I've had some in the past that was very hard and didn't wick as normal.  I just can't get behind IGI anymore due to the inconsistencies.....inconsistencies I've personally experienced.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bfroberts said:

My thoughts too. My most recent 4630 was fine, and it performed well.  But I've had some in the past that was very hard and didn't wick as normal.  I just can't get behind IGI anymore due to the inconsistencies.....inconsistencies I've personally experienced.  

Sadly all of my closest suppliers only sell IGI paraffin, except one sells Pro Blend 400. I may throw out my 4627 and just use the 6006 I have left. Maybe I should go back to trying to double wick an 8oz tureen, it wouldn't matter if the wax was bad because I could never get the wicking right.

I live in New Zealand, sadly we don’t even sell IGI here, only soy wax, bee wax or palm wax. The nearest place I could get is Australia and the shipping rate is not that cheap. Buying IGI just like taking a leap of faith for me, that’s why when I see more negative feedbacks was putting me off... but well, had bought a small amount of 6006 and 4627 to try, so I will find out how it performs then. Thank you everyone for telling me your experience! 🥰

29 minutes ago, Kai Ng said:

I live in New Zealand, sadly we don’t even sell IGI here, only soy wax, bee wax or palm wax. The nearest place I could get is Australia and the shipping rate is not that cheap. Buying IGI just like taking a leap of faith for me, that’s why when I see more negative feedbacks was putting me off... but well, had bought a small amount of 6006 and 4627 to try, so I will find out how it performs then. Thank you everyone for telling me your experience! 🥰

Yeah that’s tough! Take heart though that candle science seems to have a lot of whiny customers. So many newbies to candlemaking that I often wonder if the complaints are valid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eric, I'm on this site to get information and helpful tips from other crafters, not for the other members to buy my products. On that note.....

I use IGI 4627 for my container candles and bought a batch from Candle Science while they were receiving all of the negative reviews (didn't notice the reviews until after the purchase).  I actually contacted them and asked if I should be concerned.  They said they would help me troubleshoot if I had any issues, which I didn't.  My next batch came from Aztec because the shipping was so much cheaper! I've worked with this wax for years - it actually took me years to work out container & wicking issues, but the scent throw has been worth it for me.  Yes, it's messy to work with.  Yes, the plastic bags they package it in leave a lot to be desired.  Yes, wicking is a bit complicated.  Testing is always a must,  but I personally now love this wax and haven't found anything better for my containers.  If I could just find a tart wax I love as much.... 

On 6/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Forrest said:

That's very interesting, I felt like my last batch lacked HT.

absolutely. I am testing two scents that I am familiar with right now in different rooms after receiving a customer complaint and neither scent is throwing. At all. When I reached out to CS they gave me their standard “must be user error” response. 

On 6/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, Guest Mae said:

absolutely. I am testing two scents that I am familiar with right now in different rooms after receiving a customer complaint and neither scent is throwing. At all. When I reached out to CS they gave me their standard “must be user error” response. 

I made the same candles with the new batch of 4627 that I made with the old and the HT went from great to weak, so I made some with 6006 and the HT was much better than the new 4627.