Jump to content

pitfalls, testing, obstacles and frustration.


Recommended Posts

 

I am putting this question out to all seasoned chandlers..............I am a beginner and realize that there is a lot of work and testing that goes into making a candle. At times though, it would be nice to see some small success with a candle or two. Which type of scents, jars, waxes etc. would suggest that inexperienced candle makers stay away from?

So on a bad day we don't feel like having a bonfire in the yard with all of our wax and wicks.

Just wondering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd probably say stay away from palm wax initially since it burns in a less-traditional manner than what many people are accustomed to.  In all seriousness, I think the best thing to stay away from when learning candle making is Facebook, Reddit, YouTube.  The bad advice outnumbers the good by miles, and it's impossible for a new maker to know the difference.  There is a ton of great info right here on this forum.  And you can always ask your supplier for info.

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LisaMG said:

 

I am putting this question out to all seasoned chandlers..............I am a beginner and realize that there is a lot of work and testing that goes into making a candle. At times though, it would be nice to see some small success with a candle or two. Which type of scents, jars, waxes etc. would suggest that inexperienced candle makers stay away from?

So on a bad day we don't feel like having a bonfire in the yard with all of our wax and wicks.

Just wondering

Awww friend, we all have bonfires from time to time.  They feel and smell good sometimes.this was my last one. Used a 3 gallon pail of failed soy wax candle wax. 

7447A6AE-05EA-4144-820E-7AE7AB87C1C2.jpeg
 

then we pick up where we left off with testing and sometimes a miracle happens. 
7F0916A4-57A1-4E78-912C-386931E1BF31.jpeg

 

we have ALL been in that spot. 
 

I learned to stay away from wide, shallow containers. They are too hard to wick well until we find the right magic combo.

a 3” wide x 3-4” tall jar has been a sweet spot in most all of my waxes.  Like a Libbey status jar.  No neck or taper or shoulder issues to add variables. 
 

fragrances with smoke, leaf, dirt, patchouli, cedar, amber, etc notes are usually hard hard hard to wick .

Woods are nearly always weak smelling, but can be pleasant. (candlescience river birch - a strong exception - is hella strong but a bugger to wick in many waxes).

Cologne types are usually easiest (and often cheapest). 
 

echoing above, most FB groups,  most you tube and most Reddit advice is suspect at best. If something sounds weird, it probably is. If you are adventurous, test it to find out. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 6:40 PM, TallTayl said:

Awww friend, we all have bonfires from time to time.  They feel and smell good sometimes.this was my last one. Used a 3 gallon pail of failed soy wax candle wax. 

7447A6AE-05EA-4144-820E-7AE7AB87C1C2.jpeg
 

then we pick up where we left off with testing and sometimes a miracle happens. 
7F0916A4-57A1-4E78-912C-386931E1BF31.jpeg

 

we have ALL been in that spot. 
 

I learned to stay away from wide, shallow containers. They are too hard to wick well until we find the right magic combo.

a 3” wide x 3-4” tall jar has been a sweet spot in most all of my waxes.  Like a Libbey status jar.  No neck or taper or shoulder issues to add variables. 
 

 

Were you sucessful in wicking that libbey status jar? Im struggling for a while already trying to wick it the 6006.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Tiinkers said:

Were you sucessful in wicking that libbey status jar? Im struggling for a while already trying to wick it the 6006.

Cs and cdn seem to be the ticket in my softest waxes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...