Can you reuse wax for wick testing?

18 hours ago, SageSlowdive said:

I'm sure this has been asked many times over, but can you reuse wax after you perform a wick test in it? I bought an apple corer, wanted to try different wicks in a container without using too much of my wax stock.

Yup. The most efficient way (depending on the wax) is to pour the containers without a wick, let it cure, then use a skewer to poke a hole and insert a wick without the tab. 

If the wick is the incorrect size/type, you can pull that out with a needlenose pliers, let candle cool (I wait till next day), then poke another hole and insert the next wick. And so on till you find a good/great combination. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As above pour without a wick, but i also ignore the two hour melt pool theory, a decent sized melt pool today maybe a full melt pool tomorrow plus you have to factor in the wax level being lower with each burn, nothing new to the old hand but it's a science that changes like the wind.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:52 AM, SRez said:

Yup. The most efficient way (depending on the wax) is to pour the containers without a wick, let it cure, then use a skewer to poke a hole and insert a wick without the tab. 

If the wick is the incorrect size/type, you can pull that out with a needlenose pliers, let candle cool (I wait till next day), then poke another hole and insert the next wick. And so on till you find a good/great combination. 

So, let me ask this: can you make a test candle with fragrance and dye and swap wicks out for testing?

1 minute ago, SageSlowdive said:

So, let me ask this: can you make a test candle with fragrance and dye and swap wicks out for testing?

•  

Absolutely.  Test it the way it is going to ultimately be made.  Once you add FO and dye, your test results will / may be different from the plain tested wax.